iPhone SE constant restart

So the iPhone SE (2nd edition) has been restarting frequently. Usually, it gets warm/hot before it restarts.

We had the battery replaced at an Apple store. We reset the phone, and then erased everything/reset to make sure it wasn't a problematic app.

It still restarts, usually proceeded by the iPhone get warming. It was impossible to transfer anything to another phone without it getting warm and restarting.

The phone is over 2 years old. I have seen others with the same problem without solutions, but any suggestions?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 11:27 AM

6 replies

Jun 6, 2023 12:29 AM in response to sabertrack

sabertrack Said:

"iPhone SE constant restart: Thank you for your helpful answer. I followed your instructions and was able to update, but I still have the same exact issue. A local repair guy said that it sounds like it could be the nodes(?) for the battery or something like that. He thought it could be an issue if we were not using an officially approved Apple charge cord since it happened to another of our SE phones."

-------

You are welcome.

I am proud that my User Tip helped once more.

Some thoughts on power....

Troubleshooting iPhone Charge:

Refer to these links:

I. Try what is on this Link: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't Turn on or is Frozen - Apple Support

II. Perform a Restart:

Try Force Restarting your iPhone. Save any information that need be. Then perform the restart.

Go Here: Force Restart iPhone - Apple Support

III. A Few Apple Support Sites that May Help:

IV. Going Brand-for-Brand:

• Cable:

Using either a generic one or an Apple cable will presumably work fine. As for me, I always go Brand-fo Brand (Apple-for-Apple) for Reliability and Trustworthiness. So, consider doing the same (Going Apple-for-Apple). Find one at you local retailer, or on Apple's site: Power & Cables - Apple Store

• Battery:

When it comes to batteries, for Reliability and Dependability, I always go brand-for-brand, (Apple-for-Apple). It’s preferential, so you choose. :)

Jun 6, 2023 12:38 AM in response to sabertrack

sabertrack Said:

"iPhone SE constant restart: Thank you for your helpful answer. I followed your instructions and was able to update, but I still have the same exact issue. A local repair guy said that it sounds like it could be the nodes(?) for the battery or something like that. He thought it could be an issue if we were not using an officially approved Apple charge cord since it happened to another of our SE phones."

-------

You are welcome.

I am proud that my User Tip helped once more.

It's Time for a New Battery:

Your iPhone battery may have degraded, and is overheating, as a result. Apple recommends you get a new battery when the Battery Health reaches 80% or lower.

Where to get a New Battery:

Getting a New iPhone Battery:

Contact Apple, and setup a Genius Bar Appointment or see an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) in your local area. Be wary as to where you get this item, ask you may get an ongoing error message of an ungenuine battery. So, to avoid this continual message, it is best to have an Apple or an AASP replace the battery.

So, where to get a new battery:

A. Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :) 

B. Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the battery

Jun 4, 2023 5:37 PM in response to sabertrack

sabertrack Said:

"iPhone SE constant restart: So the iPhone SE (2nd edition) has been restarting frequently. Usually, it gets warm/hot before it restarts.[...]"

-------

Being Stuck in a Boot Loop:

Your iPhone might be stuck in a boot loop. This typically happens when you unsuccessfully download something or an update stalls.  So, refer to my User Tip: How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - Apple Support

Jun 4, 2023 5:24 PM in response to sabertrack

Hey there sabertrack,

We appreciate you reaching out on Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you've already done some great steps to help resolve this.

Since Apple has already replaced the battery, and restoring the device didn't resolve it, we'd suggest reaching back out to Apple for additional assistance. You can reach them using: Get Support

Have a lovely day!

Jun 5, 2023 9:18 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you for your helpful answer. I followed your instructions and was able to update, but I still have the same exact issue. A local repair guy said that it sounds like it could be the nodes(?) for the battery or something like that. He thought it could be an issue if we were not using an officially approved Apple charge cord since it happened to another of our SE phones.

Jul 10, 2023 12:10 PM in response to sabertrack

Hi! Did you manage to fix this problem ?

my iPhone SE 2nd generation starting having the same issue you described. I have been told to get a replacement but since the phone was bought 18 months ago I have to pay over 300 euro to get a replacement with only 3 months warranty. I am thinking if this is a known issue then it makes no sense to charge this amount of money to get a phone that will likely fail as well…

iPhone SE constant restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.