Apple Watch battery drain after Update

I noticed my Apple Watch battery draining very quickly after updating it to 9.5.1. Anyone else? My battery usually lasts 2 days.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 9:17 AM

This update is hammering my usability as a watch, which now only lasts 8 hours on a full charge, as opposed to the 24 hours I am used to.

Apple, take responsibility here, and suggest a fix - an update or provide some guidance.

I have restarted it - no change.

As a Series 1, 4 and now 7 watch user, this update is impactful

113 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2023 9:17 AM in response to RitaSweete

This update is hammering my usability as a watch, which now only lasts 8 hours on a full charge, as opposed to the 24 hours I am used to.

Apple, take responsibility here, and suggest a fix - an update or provide some guidance.

I have restarted it - no change.

As a Series 1, 4 and now 7 watch user, this update is impactful

Jun 6, 2023 9:22 AM in response to vik2100

You are NOT addressing anyone at Apple here. This is a user to user only forum.

If you want someone at Apple to know you have an issue, use this link to provide feedback --> Feedback - Watch - Apple

Ps: I'm using 9.5.1 and am having absolutely NO battery drain issues whatsoever. At a minimum, did you restart your watch after updating (something highly recommended after every OS update)?

Jun 5, 2023 12:38 PM in response to RitaSweete

I'm on a Series 6 watch and I'm lucky to get 12-14 hours right now. Pre-9.5.1 I could go 30 hours.

I usually sleep with it on, get out of bed, work out for 45-60 minutes, charge while in the shower and be back at 100% battery when starting my work day.

Post-update I can not longer sleep with it on, charges overnight, do my workout, charge, be at 100% at 8 am. 7 hours later I'm under 40%.

After the update, the watch was restarted. Re-did all of the background app refresh settings so that it was a minimum of them active.

Hope Apple pushes a better update soon.

Sep 4, 2023 9:04 AM in response to leda1298

I agree. I was born in the 1950's and I'm not going back to banging steel studs in my boots and radios with 90volt zinc carbon batteries that ran for 5 hours then were thrown away. Cars in my country did 15 to the gallon and lasted 7 years then rusted through, TV's lasted 3 years then the CRT went.

My wifes iphone 7 and ipad mini 4 are both 5 years old with original batteries.

I use my 3 yr old iphone all day on this forum and my watch has 50% battery left at bed time. Watch battery health is 96% after 10 months, phone still 87% battery health.

Plenty of things to try above to reduce battery usage.

leda1298 if your phone battery seems to run down quickly or the phone runs hot this user tip contains a number of ideas ...

The last update killed my battery! - Apple Community

and for Watch...

Apple Watch uses a LOT of battery - Apple Community

Jul 1, 2023 3:56 AM in response to RitaSweete

After about a month, I could solve the problem. I found the solution here, and it boils down to :

• Un-pair
  • Re-pair
  • Force restart iPhone
  • Force restart Apple Watch

I don't know if the last two steps are required, but it worked (at least for me) : the watch battery now uses about 5% of capacity per hour, which seems back to normal for my watch and my usage.

Sep 24, 2023 8:13 AM in response to jahya17

I have had the same problem a few months ago (after a watchOS update), and again last week when upgrading to watchOS 10. In both cases, I solved it like this (see also my previous posts much above) :

• Un-pair the watch
  • Re-pair the watch
  • Restart the iPhone
  • Restart the watch

It works, but it is a hassle : I lost the watch configuration each time and had to do it again by hand.

It is obviously a software problem, it affects many people and has lasted for a few months at least. What is Apple doing ?

Sep 26, 2023 2:04 AM in response to RitaSweete

This is from pascal_sartoretti hopefully its help. Coz it works for me

I have had the same problem a few months ago (after a watchOS update), and again last week when upgrading to watchOS 10. In both cases, I solved it like this (see also my previous posts much above) :

• Un-pair the watch
  • Re-pair the watch
  • Restart the iPhone
  • Restart the watch

It works, but it is a hassle : I lost the watch configuration each time and had to do it again by hand.

It is obviously a software problem, it affects many people and has lasted for a few months at least.

Apple Watch battery drain after Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.