Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air cracked screen

Has anybody had the issue of mysterious cracked screen on the MacBook Air M1 2020 model? I see google has many reports of this but tech informs me it won’t be covered and it will cost about as much as the MacBook itself.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 29, 2024 7:51 PM

Mine has cracked while setting on my desk untouched. I was working on it and everything seemed fine, closed it and went outside my house. Next morning I opened it to discover a crack in the screen. I am 100% sure that the screen is defective since no one touched the device and I have no pets.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 29, 2024 7:51 PM in response to ku4hx

Mine has cracked while setting on my desk untouched. I was working on it and everything seemed fine, closed it and went outside my house. Next morning I opened it to discover a crack in the screen. I am 100% sure that the screen is defective since no one touched the device and I have no pets.

Jun 6, 2023 4:41 AM in response to Claire_MK

If you search this forum, you'll find many instances. One thread has approaching 900 replies (may be more now) concerning cracked screens.

Whether or not the cost to repair is yours or Apple's will depend on several factors, one of which is Apple's assessment of it being owner caused damage.

Here is Apple's current service program list: Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

If your Mac is not on the list, it'll be handled as a warranty repair if still under warranty. But, only Apple can decide if it qualifies for warranty work. If it doesn't, you'll be responsible for repair costs. Apple will need to do a hands-0n evaluation.

Sep 16, 2023 3:06 PM in response to Claire_MK

Almeida v. Apple, 3:21-cv-07109-VC Thousands of us may find relief from the upcoming class action suit, but don't hold your breath:

The Second Amended Complaint adequately alleges the existence of a defect. The assessment by Dr. Niebuhr, coupled with the alleged widespread occurrence of display issues, plausibly suggest that the aluminum that houses the display in the M1 MacBooks is too thin to resist torque and prevent it from being transferred to the display. The allegations regarding the thinness of the display suggest also that the display itself is inordinately vulnerable to fracture and related issues, which compounds the problem. The Second Amended Complaint also adequately alleges causation: given the alleged inability of the display and its aluminum casing to adequately withstand torque, it's no wonder the plaintiffs' displays cracked, blacked out, or otherwise malfunctioned.

MacBook Air cracked screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.