iPad not receiving text messages from android devices

Until a few days ago my iPad Pro (3rd generation) and my iPhone 7 had a harmonious working relationship. Texts to and from both iOS and android users worked on both devices.

Then I updated my iPad to version 16.5. Since then, my iPad only receives texts from other iOS users. Texts to android users fail. My phone, fortunately, is still sending and receiving as before.

I’ve checked all the settings on both devices, and I’m pretty sure all are correct. Is buying a new phone the only way to resolve this issue?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 2:52 AM

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone. Verify these settings:

On your iPhone

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

iPhone and iPad

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 2:52 AM in response to corister

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone. Verify these settings:

On your iPhone

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

iPhone and iPad

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

Jun 11, 2023 2:15 AM in response to corister

If the problem persists…

On your iPhone

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to OFF

iPhone and iPad

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is disabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to OFF

After turning-off these settings on both the iPad and iPhone, force-restart both devices - one after the other:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

The forced-restart process is similar for iPhone - but varies slightly between models:

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

After both devices have restarted, re-enable Text Message Forwarding on the iPhone as before - ensuring that the iPad is explicitly enabled from the device list. Also re-enable iCloud Messages on both devices.

If necessary, perform another forced-restart of both devices.

Sep 10, 2023 7:27 PM in response to LotusPilot

Although you wrote your reply months ago, it really helped me today. I started having problems getting messages from android devices after updating my iOS and iPadOS. Your directions were clear and easy to follow. I did them, and all was fixed again. In my case, I had a Mac synced, as well, but I was able to figure out how to remove it from iCloud and add it back later. Now all 3 device are properly synced again with messages from Apple and Android devices.

iPad not receiving text messages from android devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.