Why do Word & PowerPoint crash seconds after opening any file?

I have a problem with Office 365 on my new MacBook Air (2022 - OS 13.4 (22F66) - Chip Apple M2). Outlook and Teams work, but Word and PowerPoint crash a few seconds after I try to open any file. In the beginning, everything was working, then suddenly this problem appeared.

I run a check with EtreCheck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 10:42 AM

Is Pages also crashing, as the EtreCheck report seems to indicate? If so it would be reason enough to contact Apple to determine if it's something they can fix.

You could contact Microsoft, but they will almost certainly blame Apple since that's what they do. Conversely, Apple won't be able to help with Microsoft products, but if Pages is also crashing, it puts the ball in their court.

My initial suspicion was that Microsoft is attempting to save temporary files in a prohibited location. See if there is a setting for that in Word.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2023 10:42 AM in response to martino288

Is Pages also crashing, as the EtreCheck report seems to indicate? If so it would be reason enough to contact Apple to determine if it's something they can fix.

You could contact Microsoft, but they will almost certainly blame Apple since that's what they do. Conversely, Apple won't be able to help with Microsoft products, but if Pages is also crashing, it puts the ball in their court.

My initial suspicion was that Microsoft is attempting to save temporary files in a prohibited location. See if there is a setting for that in Word.

Why do Word & PowerPoint crash seconds after opening any file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.