Macbook Pro wi fi slows down when connected to external monitor

I have a Macbook Pro M2, and whenever I connect to an external monitor (does not matter whether HDMI or thunderbolt port) the wi fi slows down significantly. and the difference is so stark...

Same with power - when I connect to power via thunderbolt, wi fi slows down. With some of the routers, switching from 5G to 2.4G helps, with some others it does not.

This is a very obvious flow that Apple needs to correct and costing me a lot of productivity especially in conference calls.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 12:47 AM

Thank you for the generic answer. However, this does not explain the loss in speed when connected to the monitor. here is the experiment:

the monitor and MacBook are on the desk next to each other.

1. when I connect the monitor, connections is slow or non existent. note that both computer and display are plugged in.
  2. when I disconnect the monitor, the connection is normal.

this is not explained by the positioning of the laptop and monitor vis a vis the router.

I think this is a bug that apple has to fix rather than recommending how we should hold and use our computers

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 12:47 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for the generic answer. However, this does not explain the loss in speed when connected to the monitor. here is the experiment:

the monitor and MacBook are on the desk next to each other.

1. when I connect the monitor, connections is slow or non existent. note that both computer and display are plugged in.
  2. when I disconnect the monitor, the connection is normal.

this is not explained by the positioning of the laptop and monitor vis a vis the router.

I think this is a bug that apple has to fix rather than recommending how we should hold and use our computers

Jun 13, 2023 10:29 AM in response to lev7777

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Some USB 3 devices can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Here are some tips to avoid this issue:

• If your USB device has a cable long enough that you can move the device, place it away from your Mac—and make sure not to place it behind your Mac, or near the hinge of its display. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there might interfere with your wireless connections.

• If you're using adapters or dongles on a Mac computer with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, plug them into the front port on the left side of your Mac, or into the ports on the right side (if your computer has them). These ports are the farthest away from the antennas, making interference less likely.

• To avoid interference on the 2.4GHz band using Wi-Fi, try using the 5GHz band instead. You can change this on your wireless base station. Bluetooth always uses 2.4GHz, so this alternative isn't available for Bluetooth.

About USB on Mac computers - Apple Support

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

May 17, 2024 8:40 AM in response to Napolion0

¿Did you read through the discussion from the beginning? it is now up to two pages, and all are pertinent.

If that does not solve your issue, Please start new discussion. This one is already too long and readers tend to not read long discussions. Then readers can address your issues directly. Be sure to include your exact model-year MacBook Pro and what processor, {plain, PRO, MAX, ULTRA}

Start a new Discussion

Jun 29, 2023 7:27 AM in response to lev7777

Connection of an external display is a Big Deal Internally. It creates a non-trivial level of memory-fetching activity inside your Mac. However, almost all of that increased activity is handled by the display-generator Hardware automaton. Simply connecting/activating a display does not impact processor utilization OR Wi-Fi performance in the way you report.

The "stock answer" was provided to help you think about your peripherals. USB 3 and USB-C Hubs are well known generate 2.4 GHz interference, and a model that is poorly shielded can be a problem.

-------

There is one older report of a display that generated so much Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), it would knock a NEARBY router off the air. The problem was quickly detected and recalled.

what Make & Model display is yours?

• LG-display recall -- to address Wi-Fi interference so severe, it knocks the Router off the air if too near the Router.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/03/lg-fixes-wifi-interference-problems-with-ultrafin e-usb-c-5k-display-new-units-unaffected/

Jun 29, 2023 5:26 PM in response to lev7777

so presumably you connect that display Directly to your Mac with an HDMi cable, Not through an adapter, is that right?

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets. it works great at its original resolution of 720i or 720p. At higher resolutions, it quickly develops issues that are complex to solve, and the cables and adapters required to solve are NOT intuitive.

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

Cables that "shipped in the box" are often 'lowest bidder' cables, and are a known source of a broad range of issues.

Sep 7, 2023 9:56 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

well, first of all, I have not tried a premium HDMI cable, they cost a lot.. However, I have started using an HDM to thunderbolt adapter and it seems to have resolved the issue.

when I connect to HDMI directly, there is connection, when I use the adapter, connection is normal.

I am guessing the HDMI cable somehow distorts some circuit here and there maybe?

anyway, the dongle worked and I am glad it did

Thank you

Mar 10, 2024 9:12 AM in response to rmonchat

no display:

Noise: -90 dB

yes display:

Noise -79 dB

that's a logarithmic scale. That noise is so strong some users are attempting to use a Signal level at -79 dB (it just misses, with -75 dB being too just weak to be stable. Signal strength RSSI and Noise are near-instantaneous measurements.

(Note: I am not certain you allowed your samples to stabilize before reporting. The [smoothed] Transmit rate with display active is higher than the Transmit rate with no display.)

Macbook Pro wi fi slows down when connected to external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.