Memory Preference Pane (Mac OS Monterey)

Hello,

Wondering if this is normal in Mac OS Monterey. I have more modules installed but the text is reading 8 modules are in use see screen shot. Also I noticed that the graphics of the memory modules looks distorted. So wondering if this is an issue with my Mac Pro 2019 or could it be Monterey related?

Thanks!

Mac Pro (2019)

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 6:08 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jun 14, 2023 6:17 PM in response to Jada855

This is not a Monterey issue, it is a Hardware failure. This issue is with the Error-Correcting Code (ECC) RAM used in Mac Pro models.

The error-correction logic is used very aggressively at startup. ANY error, correctible or not, that occurs during the very brief testing done at startup causes ALL the involved modules to be set aside and their slots declared "Empty". Mac OS will not use them because they are bad.

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Co… - Apple Community

Jun 14, 2023 7:35 PM in response to Jada855

Module failure is vastly more likely than any other failure. Be sure you don't fool yourself by thinking that if you re-seat the modules in their slots and it goes away it is 'cured'. One of the modules in that group of slots is Bad,

If the RAM modules in the marked 'empty' slots are aftermarket RAM, return that group to the seller and they can run it on a memory tester until THEY figure out what's wrong. It's not your problem. Check the vendor stickers, (that's all the 'proof of purchase that should be required) and ask them to send you replacements for the ones in slots marked empty, then return the ones from those slots.

Memory Preference Pane (Mac OS Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.