Purple front camera - iPhone 12 Pro Max

I am writing this to register my disappointment with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and Apple.

A couple of weeks ago, the front camera started having an unusual problem while I was on a video call. The image was normal, but suddenly, everything started turning purple. I closed the app, restarted the phone, but the issue persisted. Now every time I start the front camera, everything appears as if there is a purple tint, or as if it were an (unwanted) filter.

I've done some online research and could find so many threads from thousands of people on Apple Discussions reporting exactly the same issue with different iPhone versions.

I've then decided to contact Apple support for a solution. Some tests were done, the iPhone was reset, but the issue continued. I was then advised to take my iPhone to be analysed by the Apple's technical assistance partners near my home. Both places told me that the issue is solvable, but to do so, they will need to replace the front camera parts, which will cost me around AU$350, which is totally frustrating.

I decided to buy this iPhone about 2 and a half years ago, especially because of the photos and videos capabilities, and it's exactly where I'm facing this issue. So, I paid about AU$2k for a device that I'm already regretting it at this point, as I've had Samsung devices for over 6 years, and I've never had any problems like this.

My biggest frustration is that the issue was not caused by me, but is clearly related to the iPhone's hardware fault, as there are thousands of people reporting the same issue, which confirms that it is not something unusual, but a problem with the devices themselves.

This is definitely the last iPhone I have and do not recommend it to anyone. I truly expected to receive a lot more support from the Apple, since they are clearly aware that this is a product fault. 

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 10:15 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 17, 2023 11:19 PM in response to Neas_23

Neas_23 wrote:

I've done some online research and could find so many threads from thousands of people on Apple Discussions reporting exactly the same issue with different iPhone versions.

If the front camera of your iPhone 12 Pro Max is producing a purple tint or discoloration in photos or videos, it could be due to a few possible reasons:

1. The purple tint may be more noticeable in certain lighting conditions. It could be caused by a specific combination of ambient lighting and how the camera sensor responds to it.
  2. In some cases, software glitches or incorrect camera settings can lead to color abnormalities. It's worth checking your camera settings and ensuring that you're using the default settings or any specific settings that are appropriate for your situation. --> Photography using iPhone - Apple Community

If you're experiencing the purple tint issue with your iPhone 12 Pro Max, here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Use a microfiber cloth or lens cleaning solution to gently clean the front camera lens. Sometimes, smudges or dirt on the lens can cause discoloration or affect image quality. --> Cleaning your iPhone
  2. Ensure that your iPhone 12 pro Max (You are silent on this) is running the latest version of iOS. Apple often releases software updates that address known issues and improve camera performance. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for any available updates.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  3. Resetting the camera settings can help eliminate any customized settings that may be causing the issue. Go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings and toggle off any enabled settings. You can also try resetting all settings on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings (note that this will reset all settings, not just camera-related ones).
  4. Try capturing photos or videos in various lighting environments to see if the purple tint persists across different scenarios. This can help determine if the issue is related to specific lighting conditions.
  5. iOS devices use an ambient light sensor to adjust brightness levels based on the light conditions around you. The sensor lowers brightness--> Adjust the brightness and color temperature on your ...

If the problem persists after attempting these troubleshooting steps, it's recommended to visit an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. They can provide further assistance, diagnose the issue more accurately, and potentially offer repair options if necessary.

Jun 17, 2023 11:10 PM in response to Neas_23

Neas_23 wrote:

This is definitely the last iPhone I have and do not recommend it to anyone. I truly expected to receive a lot more support from the Apple, since they are clearly aware that this is a product fault. 

Selecting the perfect mobile model or brand is a highly personal decision, influenced by a multitude of factors. From financial considerations to desired features, social status, aesthetics, utility, user-friendliness, availability, warranty coverage, service support, resale value, technological advancements, and numerous other aspects, the selection process is a complex interplay of various parameters.

In this digital age, our choices often revolve around our budgetary constraints. Financial considerations play a pivotal role in determining the range of models available to us. We must strike a balance between our desired features and our spending capacity, ensuring that we make a sensible investment.

Speaking of features, they act as the backbone of our mobile experience. Some of us seek cutting-edge technology, while others prioritize specific functionalities. Whether it's a powerful camera, a long-lasting battery, or a high-performance processor, we all have unique preferences that shape our decision-making process.

Status and aesthetic appeal can also influence our mobile choice. Some individuals gravitate towards well-known brands, associating them with prestige or reliability. Additionally, the design and overall appearance of a mobile device can significantly impact our attraction to it, as we often seek a device that reflects our personal style and taste.

Utility and user-friendliness are vital factors to consider as well. A mobile phone should seamlessly integrate into our daily lives, providing convenience and enhancing productivity. Intuitive interfaces, ease of use, and accessibility features can greatly enhance the user experience.

Moreover, availability and service support are essential elements to evaluate. We want to ensure that the chosen brand and model have a strong presence in our region, with authorized service centers and readily available accessories. This ensures a smoother experience in case of any issues or required repairs.

Warranty coverage is another significant consideration. Knowing that our investment is protected by a reliable warranty can provide peace of mind, safeguarding us against potential defects or malfunctions.

Resale value is often overlooked but can be important for some individuals who like to upgrade their devices frequently. Choosing a brand/model that retains its value well can make a difference when it's time to sell or trade-in for a new device.

Lastly, keeping up with technology is crucial in the fast-paced mobile industry. Staying informed about the latest advancements allows us to select a model that incorporates the most up-to-date features, ensuring that our investment remains relevant for a longer duration.

Ultimately, the selection of a mobile model/brand is a unique process, driven by personal preferences and the weighing of various parameters. It is essential to consider these factors and strike a balance that aligns with our needs, desires, and budget, ultimately leading to a satisfying mobile experience.

You can choose yours, based on your need. Go through the tech specs of all the iPhone models in one place, here --> iPhone Tech Specs - Apple Support And iPhone - Shopping Help - Apple

Jun 17, 2023 11:08 PM in response to Neas_23

This is a user-to-user public forum.

Apple Support Community Forum

This is Apple Support Community forum, for user-to-user interaction for information & idea sharing between users, if need be, extend support on technical know-how in handling Apple products from more experienced fellow users, This is not the right forum to discuss with Apple Inc.

Purple front camera - iPhone 12 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.