IMac won’t boot more than half way, the bar just stops. Have tried booting in to safe modes Nf resetting the PRAM but it doesn’t recognise any keyboard input

Boot up bar stops at half way, won’t complete the boot

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 2:16 PM

I will add this. (1) My Mac was performing at its finest with no issues or problems. (2) I installed a commonly used app which also needed their additional app to function on Mac external drives. Something unforeseen occurred. Sometimes it just happens. A bit of data somewhere conflicts with another bit of data somewhere else and a problem occurs. Pre-release testing of an app can never find or address every potential issue that might pop up. Then it's reformat time!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 2:16 PM in response to JNC2700

I will add this. (1) My Mac was performing at its finest with no issues or problems. (2) I installed a commonly used app which also needed their additional app to function on Mac external drives. Something unforeseen occurred. Sometimes it just happens. A bit of data somewhere conflicts with another bit of data somewhere else and a problem occurs. Pre-release testing of an app can never find or address every potential issue that might pop up. Then it's reformat time!

Jun 18, 2023 10:29 AM in response to JNC2700

Your Mac is apparently not recognizing a wireless keyboard. I suggest connecting a wired keyboard so you can do needed entries. (That is why I don't like wireless keyboards and Mice.) Also, it sounds like you may have updated or upgraded your operating system and it can't properly open because it's corrupted. I suggest that you reinstall the OS using a wired Ethernet connection and not Wi-Fi as it often fails.

Jun 18, 2023 1:13 PM in response to JNC2700

I recently had a similar experience. It was caused by an app I installed. It corrupted my OS so it would not complete the startup process. I too reloaded the OS and tried Disk Utility to repair it. Nothing worked, so I had to reformat the drive and then go through the process of installing a clean new OS and then transfer all my backup files. Thank you for backups! That may be your resolution.

IMac won’t boot more than half way, the bar just stops. Have tried booting in to safe modes Nf resetting the PRAM but it doesn’t recognise any keyboard input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.