Cannot sign in to Music app

I've just upgraded to Monterey with a clean installation.

When I launch the Music app I click on Account:

The sign-in box defaults to "local":

I add my Apple ID (as a test I put in the wrong password to confirm that it is correctly looking up my credentials):

However when I put the correct credentials in i get this error:

"There was a temporary problem completing your request. The network connection was lost. Try again later."

• The internet connection is fine.
  • I've rebooted numerous times.
  • I've open Music in Safe Mode (option + command).

The result is always the same. At present I'm unable to download my music library from iTunes Match.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 9:24 AM

I had the same issue on new MBP, Sonoma, and got around it by instead going to Account>Sign up for Apple Music (rather than Sign in). I then clicked "Already a subscriber?" and signed in to an identical looking modal and voila. No idea why that worked...

Similar questions

11 replies

Jun 22, 2023 8:56 AM in response to VicViper9

Generally this kind of scenario doesn't happen. If you are using any system optimizers like Advanced Mac Cleaner, or Mackeeper, that can seriously corrupt the stability of your entire system. All such software should be removed with http://www.reggieashworth.com/ AppDelete and use Etrecheck - the handy reporting tool for … - Apple Community

to discuss with the forum how to better manage your Mac.

Jun 20, 2023 1:33 PM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

Open the Keychain Access utility and rebuild your keychain.
You may lose some saved passwords on your system, but it should make sure everything is working again.

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately that didn't work. No change to the issue described.

Is there a way to reset Music or reinstall or delete a plist file or something?

Jun 20, 2023 4:46 PM in response to VicViper9

Not sure you want to do that unless you do not want to restore your playlists, and libraries and album artwork you might have downloaded. Is this something you are willing to manually rebuild? I suspect that would be overkill.

Do you know for a fact you are logged in the user on the Mac that built the library?

Is the user that built the library based on the same AppleID account that you use to login Apple Support Communities? Typically your AppleID is one email address and password across all Apple services.

Can you verify with your password your login for discussions.apple.com and then verify whether or not Music can login with the same same email address and password?

Cannot sign in to Music app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.