Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

@suddenlinkmail.com emails appear in my @icloud.com account!

Over the last week I've been receiving around a dozen emails each day from machine driven email addresses using the @suddenlinkmail.com email server.

Apple support tell me that I must have unwittingly signed up / into something, but I'm a lifelong IT professional and I'm very cautious in this regard.

It would seem that this attack has been able to corrupt the Apple email service and forward these fishing emails to my email account. I'd stress that my Apple email address doesn't appear in the recipient list, only the spurious @suddenlinkmail.com address.

It's almost like the hackers have reverse engineered Apple's own, sign up with Apple Security service!!!

I'm very concerned as Apple Support are playing this down and wanted to ask if it's a challenge other's are facing?

Many thanks one and all

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 7:56 AM

See this thread to set a rule at the iCloud Mail server lever to send these messages straight to trash.

I'm getting mail addressed to ...@suddenl… - Apple Community

Also, if you look at the full header of those messages, you might see your real email address. :-(

8 replies

Jun 20, 2023 12:33 PM in response to CraigHT

Hi Craig, You are lucky if the spammers don't have your real email address. With sufficient training, SpamSieve should be able to catch all those and send them to the Junk folder. But, that represents another problem - how to wade through all that Junk to find any possible false positives (good messages). That's why I got started looking deeper into this.

I won't contradict Apple Support, but - - -

You can use a Rule on the Server (iCloud Mail via a web browser) to create a Rule that will move every message addressed TO random . . .@suddenlinkmail addresses either to Trash or another Folder you create.

See my most recent post on this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254915933?page=2

So, I can't understand why a Rule moving messages where FROM contains "suddenlinkmail.com" (with random prefixes) couldn't be handled the same way. But maybe that's a limitation of Server rules.

Jun 20, 2023 11:41 AM in response to Michael Fiechtner

Thank you very much for the thoughts Michael. I'll check the thread to see if there's anything I can do, but Apple Support tell me I can block an individual email address, but not an email server. The challenge with that is a machine can change the user name easily!!!

I can confirm that my @icloud.com address is not in the full header.

Thanks again

Craig

Jun 22, 2023 7:51 AM in response to CraigHT

Im concerned this is a major security issue involving Apple Software because the problem started around the same time AT&T had a wide spread network outage. At&t has been my wireless provider for 17 years and and for the past 13, I used my Apple ID for logging into personal apple accounts, ONLY.

The probability that this is a sophisticated cyber attack on wireless providers involving Suddenlink and Apple.

I might be wrong, but Im not buying into the “you clicked on this or “subscribed to that” or “its the dark web” bs. I’ve had enough of the hostility between big tech corps playing “school yard games” with consumers money and 300 pages of ARTIFICIAL ARBITRARY Laws. I did not signup for a CyberWorld War. I do not consent to nor agree with the sale of my personal “data”, technology experiences, ownership of such including my privacy rights, privileges and enjoyment, to or by a party, corporation or individual that is not myself or next of kin, for any purposes or reasons.

Jun 22, 2023 8:18 AM in response to laura03062

It is a real concern for me too Laura. To be honest, I checked my Google mail and Hotmail accounts first, as I was convinced that they would be susceptible to this type of "piggy back" attack...

I was genuinely shocked to find that the problem lay with my Apple email!!!

As a Band-Aid work around, I've set up a rule in my iCloud account to move all mail to this server to bin and mark it read. I then have to check to be sure nothing important has been accidentally binned...

Will be interesting to see if this challenge becomes more widespread and visible... If it does, I'm sure we'll see Apple respond to it more proactively, as the security and integrity are at the heart of their brand.

Thanks and good luck...

Jun 22, 2023 5:15 PM in response to CraigHT

CraigHT,

I recall the day when the iOS app “mark as spam” feature became “move to junk” and gone were the days “->Edit -> select->move to spam folder” provided protection from phishing threats. I fretted them malicious senders could receive a pick back of an active email domain.

Now, I spend a lot of time daily,

forwarding phishing emails, reporting scam texts, blocking and reporting phone numbers to the companies I trusted to provide me with reliable, safe and easy to use telecommunication products and services.

it’s wrong to conceal important information from consumers, absolving all responsibility from harm a “third party” partnership might do, but worse than equivocation are the fraudulent ways these corporations take hard earned American dollars and sell it to investors in “cloud” form.

I hope we see Apple respond quickly along with many other tech pioneers and The US General Services Administration.

At any rate, spamming Apple users by spoofing active emails is genius and kinda funny.

Take Care,

😊

@suddenlinkmail.com emails appear in my @icloud.com account!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.