Software question: Does Apple email have an option for a shared email address?

Does Apple email have a family option? My husband and I would like to share a private (me.com?) email box - is that possible?

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 3:21 PM

EnzoCutting wrote:

Does Apple email have a family option? My husband and I would like to share a private (me.com?) email box - is that possible?

Family Sharing does not have a shared email option, but it doesn't really need that. Set up a new Apple ID with some iCloud storage, or set up an email account at another free or paid mail-hosting provider, and enter that account as a new mail account within Apple Mail.

Use IMAP to access the shared mail account, and not POP, too.

You can also choose to not send email messages, and can agree to swap messages in the shared account drafts folder on the mail server.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 3:21 PM in response to EnzoCutting

EnzoCutting wrote:

Family Sharing does not have a shared email option, but it doesn't really need that. Set up a new Apple ID with some iCloud storage, or set up an email account at another free or paid mail-hosting provider, and enter that account as a new mail account within Apple Mail.

Use IMAP to access the shared mail account, and not POP, too.

You can also choose to not send email messages, and can agree to swap messages in the shared account drafts folder on the mail server.

Jun 20, 2023 3:22 PM in response to EnzoCutting

Apple no longer offers me.com email addresses only iCloud.com addresses.

With that said, there is nothing specific about sharing an email address that requires Apple offering anything.

You can create an email address at any provider, and then just add it to devices belonging to both of you and you will see any email messages sent to the address everywhere the email account has been setup.

Do note there will be no way to separate who the email message is for. All email will arrive and be visible on all devices that have the account setup on them.

You can create a common iCloud account on one device, by going to Settings ➜ Mail ➜ Accounts ➜ Add Account ➜ iCloud ➜ Create New Apple ID. This will create a new Apple ID with an iCloud email account attached to it, which can then be set up on other devices, by following the same steps, but instead of selecting "Create Apple ID", simply enter the new account email at the top of the screen there.

Are you sure you want to share an email account? What are you looking to accomplish by this?

Software question: Does Apple email have an option for a shared email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.