How to block EVERY email from my messages

At some point a year or two ago Apple and the communication industry decided it would be a good idea that you could receive emails in our primary message app.

I've never wanted this. This is Stupid. Why can I select somewhere to prevent ALL emails from entering my messaging app.

If I wanted to see an email I'd go to my email app!

Apple! Please find a solution to prevent all emails from arriving into my messaging app!

YES I know i can add an email message to my blocked list... I just want EVERY email on my blocked list.

It would be nice if Apple could add a simple filter that any contact with the @ symbol in the sender was blocked!

Android is looking better every day.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 7:36 AM

5 replies

Jun 22, 2023 7:45 AM in response to That_Guy_

It has always been the case that you could receive messages from an email address in your SMS or Messages app. That has been the case since basic flip phones. And it's true on Android phones as well.

I can't tell from the limited information you've provided why you are suddenly getting messages you weren't getting before. I would suggest you start by going to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive and un-tick any email addresses under "You can receive iMessages to and reply from".

ETA: While I was typing this, more posts were made. It sounds as if you are getting messages sent to something like "2125551212@vtext.com" (or whoever your carrier is). Unless your carrier lets you stop that, you can't.

Jun 22, 2023 7:41 AM in response to That_Guy_

I am unclear how emails can come to the Messaging app, probably meant the iOS mail app. Yopu can alwasy set rules using a web browser preventing all emails to come to the Inbox.

There are two types of Rules.

1. server-side
  2. client-only  

If the rule set is on the server side then even if you are not logged into your email account, the rules will be applied to the email immediately.

But if the rule is set on the client side on a Mac then the rule will be activated only when the Mail app is open and is online on the Mac.

This is truly based on the conditions and actions you apply to them.

• iCloud / Gmail only has a Client-side rule option
  • Outlook / Exchange has both options, Server and Client side rules can be set

You cannot set a rule on an iPhone. It will follow the rules set on server or at the client end.

Jun 22, 2023 7:38 AM in response to That_Guy_

That_Guy_ wrote:

Apple! Please find a solution to prevent all emails from arriving into my messaging app!

This is a user-to-user public forum.

Apple Support Community Forum

This is Apple Support Community forum, for user-to-user interaction for information & idea sharing between users, if need be, extend support on technical know-how in handling Apple products from more experienced fellow users, This is not the right forum to discuss with Apple Inc.

How to block EVERY email from my messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.