Music.app playing downloaded music for incorrect duration

I am having an issue with Music.app on my MacBook where songs are continuing past the timestamp that they should end on. The correct duration is being shown on the right side of the song in the album listing, but at the top of the screen it is showing about double. For example, a song that lasts 4:14 is playing for 8:29. Once the song reaches the point that it should end, it starts playing the next song, but the song title at the top of the screen doesn't change. When the player at the top of the screen reaches the end, it skips to the next song and picks up wherever it left off. I understand that this is a slightly bizarre issue so please ask for any clarification if you need it.

I've tried playing the same files in VLC and they seem to work fine there, so I believe the files themselves are not to blame here. Does anyone know a fix? So far I have tried changing the start and stop time in the "Get Info" window, but the times there are already correct.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 1:02 PM

Update: I fixed it using ffmpeg

I ended up using ffmpeg to convert the m4a files to flac and then back again, which fixed the issue. Everything is working as expected now.

Similar questions

1 reply

Music.app playing downloaded music for incorrect duration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.