Photos v8.0 GPS location in Ventura 13.4.1

When I view a Photo's location see the map but where are the GPS coordinates? I'm trying to report graffiti and (also) when I see the Map and pin locating to position, the COPY location does nothing - there is nothing to post in Mail, text edit, etc.. How do I access the GPS coordinates of a picture to share the location?

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 11:05 AM

You can open the image in Preview:

You can't drag the picture to Preview-- GPS doesn't come with it. So export the picture with "File>Export>Export 1 Photo" (or use "Unmodified Original") and then drag the file to Preview. Use Tools>Show Inspector, then info and GPS.

Mine says "Horizontal Postioning Error 1." I have no idea what that means-- but for this picture I had entered the location manually, so maybe that's it.

Also, if you do Finder's Get Info on the exported file, it will show the latitude and longitude. That might be easier...

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 11:05 AM in response to MRYFLYGUY

You can open the image in Preview:

You can't drag the picture to Preview-- GPS doesn't come with it. So export the picture with "File>Export>Export 1 Photo" (or use "Unmodified Original") and then drag the file to Preview. Use Tools>Show Inspector, then info and GPS.

Mine says "Horizontal Postioning Error 1." I have no idea what that means-- but for this picture I had entered the location manually, so maybe that's it.

Also, if you do Finder's Get Info on the exported file, it will show the latitude and longitude. That might be easier...

Jun 25, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

You could also select the image in Photos, then right-click or ctrl-click it and use the command "Edit with" and select Preview. Then open the Inspector in Preview by clicking the (i) button in the toolbar or from the Tools menu > Inspector.

When I want to extract the GPS coordinates directly, I am running an Apple Script, that will save the GPS to the clip board, so I can paste them somewhere else, see this user tip: Script: Extract the Numerical GPS Values … - Apple Community

I select the photo in Photos (in All Photos or in a top level album), then run the script from the Script Editor. You could also try to wrap it as an Automator Quick Action. When the script runs, it will display a panel with with the GPS values, after copying them to the clipboard, like this:

Click the OK button to dismiss the panel and quit the process.

Jun 25, 2023 1:15 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY wrote: Why Apple doesn’t make the GPS info available in Photos > Get Info is beyond me. Thanks!

My guess is that Photos is meant mostly for people who don't really need the extra information and would consider it clutter. (And since you're the first person to ask this here, that may be it.)

But it seems like there could be an extra "Preview-like" info window that would have such stuff. You can leave feedback for Apple here:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

Couldn't hurt, and it might work. I look at metadata all the time using GraphicConverter, so I'm for it!

Photos v8.0 GPS location in Ventura 13.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.