Finding Partial Password Matches in Safari Saved Passwords

Chase sends me notifications that my email and password were found on the dark web (usually without the identified website), but only shows a small part of the end of the password, making it next to impossible to find without going through each saved password in Safari.

Is it possible to search for partial password fragments for which I only have the end of the password? I have tried some of the wildcards (like *) you can use with Google and the like, but it does not seem like the Keychain feature allows for any kind of search logic.

For instance, Chase alerts will give me my full email address and then say something like "Password: ***c2B" (just a made up example and not a real one of my passwords). How do I find which of my passwords ends in, in the case of the random example, "c2B"?

Thank you!

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 7:52 PM

Hi zedmo,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community

Wondering which Mac or device model you are using Safari on,

and

which MacOS, iOS, iPad OS, etc. version is installed.

Eg: Using Mac OS Ventura:

Exporting a list may make locating the password easier:

"To save the usernames and passwords for your website accounts in a CSV file, click the More button , choose Export All Passwords, click Export Passwords, type a filename, then click Save.

The CSV file contains website titles, website addresses, usernames and passwords.

Note: The CSV file is not encrypted and anyone reading the file can see your passwords".

Complete article: Change Passwords settings on Mac - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 7:52 PM in response to zedmo

Hi zedmo,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community

Wondering which Mac or device model you are using Safari on,

and

which MacOS, iOS, iPad OS, etc. version is installed.

Eg: Using Mac OS Ventura:

Exporting a list may make locating the password easier:

"To save the usernames and passwords for your website accounts in a CSV file, click the More button , choose Export All Passwords, click Export Passwords, type a filename, then click Save.

The CSV file contains website titles, website addresses, usernames and passwords.

Note: The CSV file is not encrypted and anyone reading the file can see your passwords".

Complete article: Change Passwords settings on Mac - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Finding Partial Password Matches in Safari Saved Passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.