Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple TV+ Buffering Constantly and only Apple TV+

We recently subscribed to Apple TV+

Other services we have:

Prime, Netflix, Max, Peacock, Paramount Plus, MLB.tv, and Hulu on none of them at anytime do we have a buffering issue. We watch in 4K and do so on multiple devices including: Apple TV, Nvidia Shield 2017 and 2019, and Roku Ultra. We use them at two different homes with internet service at both (separate of 940 down/40 up).

The only service we have had a buffering issue with is Apple TV+.

All of our devices are hard-wired to our router.

The buffering is showing right now even though our system is show full available bandwidth little to no jitter and very low (sub 20ms) latency.

The buffering occurs on all of our devices at various times. I have tried reinstalling the apps on these devices and the buffering will occur again after anywhere from a few minutes to a few days.

SHIELDAndroidTV,

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 2:41 AM

Let’s assume the average participant in this community knows and understands the basic troubleshooting processes and don’t want the read the normal redirects, ‘your system/setup’. If all my services work EXCEPT one, then the issue is THAT one. Can our beloved Apple Engineers find a solution, or not?

Similar questions

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2023 2:41 AM in response to Jeff_888

Let’s assume the average participant in this community knows and understands the basic troubleshooting processes and don’t want the read the normal redirects, ‘your system/setup’. If all my services work EXCEPT one, then the issue is THAT one. Can our beloved Apple Engineers find a solution, or not?

Oct 31, 2023 7:49 PM in response to AtothemfK

Same issues- but only when using the Apple TV 4K. I do not have an issue when I use the app on my smart tv. Something very strange is happening, as I am seeing several individuals facing the same problem. Apple really does not seem to care, they say they do… but they are doing 0.0 to correct the issue. All blame and no accountability.

Nov 12, 2023 7:39 PM in response to Ken Esq

Same issue here. My internet speed is good. Every other app on my Roku TV works seemlessly. No issues with buffering at all. But when I try to watch anything on Apple TV it buffers every few seconds. This only started happening recently within the last month or so. Before that no issues. Don't know what happened but they need to figure it out and fix it or I will be canceling my subscription. Why pay for something you can't use?

Oct 3, 2023 2:18 AM in response to DavisClark

i'm having the same experience. we got a 3 months free subscription with my mclaptop and another 3 free months with our samsung tv. everything is up to date, but apple tv is also the only thing that buffers, which is why we don't use it much. netflix and disney+ is streaming fine at 4k, but when applytv is playing, the quality sometimes drops so low that you can't see facial expressions, then slowly comes right for a birt and then goes bad again. currently we can't even make it through a single show without it failing and showing an error. i definitely won't subscribe past the trial so that i can pay money to be able to watch nothing.

Nov 11, 2023 6:58 AM in response to Ken Esq

Here’s how much Apple cares about its customers:

Hi Mwlugga,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Community.

We removed your post “Apple TV+ Buffering Constantly and only Apple TV+.” 

To read our terms and conditions for using the Community site, see this page: Apple Support Communities - Terms of Use and the Community Etiquette Guidelines

We hope you’ll keep using our Support Community forums. You can find more information about participating here:  Apple Support Communities - How To Articles

If you have comments about any of our products, we welcome your feedback:  Apple - Feedback

We’ve included a copy of your original post below.

Thanks,

Apple Support Community Staff

I’ve done all of what you say. Works great until prime time “7 to 7:30pm” and then Apple TV is simply rubbish. Check my internet speed and it’s 200 Mb/s. 

Apple is failing to provide the service customers are paying for. It is time for a class action suit and the FTC needs to be notified. 

Nov 21, 2023 5:43 AM in response to Ken Esq

Apple support is absolutely useless with a buffering issue which happens only during evening hours with internet bandwidth around 200 Mbs.

They are unable to admit that their livestream delivery service is unable to adequately deliver to their customers during peak viewing times which Netflix and Prime do quite well.

Apple TV customers are not getting the full value for the service for which they are paying.

In short they are getting scammed by Apple’s promise to deliver the service they are selling.

Nov 15, 2023 5:54 PM in response to Insomniac2

I am having the same issue. I have an Apple TV hard wired into a router with a 1GB fiber connection. All other services (Netflix, Prime, Max, etc.) stream with no buffering issues. Anything I try to watch on Apple TV + will freeze and buffer about every 45 seconds. It is VERY frustrating. I’ve tried rebooting the AppleTV and the router but that did not solve the issue.

Feb 15, 2024 2:55 PM in response to Ken Esq

I have the same issue all the time, I literally just sign out and sign back in and that seems to take of it. As with everyone else, this is the only streaming service that I experience this issue with. The content on the platform is outstanding but the software development team needs to step it up. Please sort your team out apple and address this issue that so many of your users are experiencing.

Jun 28, 2023 2:38 PM in response to Ken Esq

Hi Ken Esq,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having buffering issue when using the Apple TV app. Reinstalling the app was a good step. This article has a few more steps that may help: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support.

"Learn what to do if you have trouble streaming a movie or TV show over a Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Update to the latest version of the Apple TV app

Update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, macOS, or tvOS.

If you're using a compatible smart TV, streaming device, or gaming console that's connected to the internet, the Apple TV app should update automatically. If you need help, you can contact the manufacturer or learn how to get the Apple TV app on your device.

If the movie or TV show won't start playing

After each step, try to stream or download the movie or TV show again.

1. Check the System Status page for service interruptions or check a third-party provider's website for any interruptions. If there are service interruptions, try to stream or watch the video later.
  2. If you're having trouble signing in with your Apple ID, you can reset your Apple ID password or learn how to get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication.
  3. If your cellular connection is poor, connect to Wi-Fi instead.*
  4. Try watching on a different device using the same Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If it doesn't work, contact your internet service provider to see if there's an issue with your network.
  5. If other people are using Apple TV+ or Apple TV channels, make sure it doesn't exceed the limits for streaming on multiple devices.

* Make sure that your Wi-Fi router is 802.11a/g/n/ac compatible. Streaming HD content requires 8 Mbit/s or faster. Slower tiers of Wi-Fi connections might not be fast enough to stream HD video content.

If the video quality is bad or it stops playing

1. If multiple people on your network are using the internet, your connection speed might slow down. Ask them to temporarily pause their internet activities.
  2. If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, turn it off and back on again. If you're using an Apple device, restart it.
  3. Tap or click the download button to try downloading the movie or TV show instead.*

* You can't download movies or TV shows to Apple TV, smart TVs, or streaming devices. You can download HDR content only to certain iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. You can't download 4K video content to any device."

Take care.

Dec 26, 2023 11:27 AM in response to Ken Esq

I just logged a Support Request through Apple:

https://getsupport.apple.com/topics

The tech tried to blame my internet connection (1Gbps over cable), then the firmware on the AppleTV 4K I use for streaming. He also provided a link to Apple's service status page that listed AppleTV+ as "green", or good. At that point he ran out of excuses, and said he was promoting the request to the next level. I suspect that if more people logged Support Requests, something might actually be done to increase capacity at Apple. But I'm not holding my breath...

Jan 14, 2024 11:30 AM in response to quarkpt

Welp -- I did find a workaround:

I use the Apple TV application on my Macbook Air to do the actual streaming part (i.e., to get the video and audio off the internet). Then I use AirPlay to connect to my Roku. Turns out that when you watch Apple TV on a Macbook, it pops up a window for watching stuff, and that window has an AirPlay icon in the lower-right, so that only the Apple TV content streams to the Roku (i.e., it doesn't just mirror my laptop's whole display, it correctly sends the Apple TV content and uses the full screen on my TV). Also, in that state, I can use my Roku's remote to pause the show (i.e., I don't have to use the laptop to pause and resume).

From this we learn two facts, which are related:

1. There's no bandwidth issue and there's not actually a problem at the Apple server end, since with the right combination of hardware and software I can watch Apple TV at my home.
  2. Therefore the problem must be with my Roku and the other streaming devices I've tested. Is it the Roku app? Is it that my Roku is kind of old (hence the current app may have problems with my old Roku)? Don't know.

Apple TV+ Buffering Constantly and only Apple TV+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.