How to fix OnVue on Mac

OnVue downloads and starts to open, but nothing happens. The spinning beachball of death just continues to spin. I can’t select any options, exit or force quit the program. To get it to stop I just have to shut down my computer. What is wrong?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 1:21 AM

Experienced the same thing - very very painful experience! Was just watching the pinwheel spin forever, force shutdown my laptop, and be put at the end of the queues again... It took around 2 hours when I finally decided to reschedule the exam. Pearson customer support wasn't helpful enough, though they said they will try to contact me within 48 to 72 hours.

I managed to fixed it! by fumbling with my laptop and with the help of google. I had no idea what I did that made it work, but here are a list of every I did in case anyone found themself in the same desperate situation as I was in:

• Make chrome browser the default browser (I was using Arc as default)
  • Allow cookies & allow pop-ups in your chrome browser settings
  • followed the recommendation from this link: OnVue fails launch simulation test - part… - Apple Community
  • turn off Stage Manager in the settings: go to Desktop & Dock > Stage Manager (toggle to off)
  • turn off universal control: go to Display > Universal Control > disconnect all devices. On the Display page, scoll down to the bottom to click the "Advanced..." button, then toggle off the "Allow your pointer and keyboard to move between any nearby Mac or iPad"
  • Move the OnVue app into the 'applications' folder (as opposed to the program being in your Downloads folder)
  • Make sure OnVue has permission for 'Input Monitoring': go to Privacy & Security > Input Monitoring, then click the + sign and add on OnVue app
  • On Privacy & Security > Input Monitoring I also toggle off permissions for everything else that wasn't OnVue, like the Logitech options+.

Hope this helps somebody out there...

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2023 1:21 AM in response to emcat3477

Experienced the same thing - very very painful experience! Was just watching the pinwheel spin forever, force shutdown my laptop, and be put at the end of the queues again... It took around 2 hours when I finally decided to reschedule the exam. Pearson customer support wasn't helpful enough, though they said they will try to contact me within 48 to 72 hours.

I managed to fixed it! by fumbling with my laptop and with the help of google. I had no idea what I did that made it work, but here are a list of every I did in case anyone found themself in the same desperate situation as I was in:

• Make chrome browser the default browser (I was using Arc as default)
  • Allow cookies & allow pop-ups in your chrome browser settings
  • followed the recommendation from this link: OnVue fails launch simulation test - part… - Apple Community
  • turn off Stage Manager in the settings: go to Desktop & Dock > Stage Manager (toggle to off)
  • turn off universal control: go to Display > Universal Control > disconnect all devices. On the Display page, scoll down to the bottom to click the "Advanced..." button, then toggle off the "Allow your pointer and keyboard to move between any nearby Mac or iPad"
  • Move the OnVue app into the 'applications' folder (as opposed to the program being in your Downloads folder)
  • Make sure OnVue has permission for 'Input Monitoring': go to Privacy & Security > Input Monitoring, then click the + sign and add on OnVue app
  • On Privacy & Security > Input Monitoring I also toggle off permissions for everything else that wasn't OnVue, like the Logitech options+.

Hope this helps somebody out there...

Mar 29, 2024 12:37 AM in response to startivityz

I followed all the steps except I kept safari changed its settings to disable content blockers and allow popups. Still didn't work. So I went to general, airdrop and handoff, turned off handoff and airplay. Also went to displays, advanced, turned off allow pointer and keyboard to move between nearby Mac or iPad. And it finally worked after days of frustration!

Apr 2, 2024 2:13 AM in response to JoinBali

UPDATE: The Stage Manager fix worked for the demo/test exam but today it was the real thing. And sadly the spinning circle of doom re-appeared when the proctor tried to launch the exam. I went round and round the check-in queue for 3 and a half hours and eventually gave up. Nightmare. So now not sure what to do next. Would welcome hearing from those who did successfully launch and run the real exam, and know exactly what you had to fix (other than stage manager) to make that work. In particular if anyone has made it work using Safari as default browser.

Apr 7, 2024 8:20 AM in response to emcat3477

I faced out whit the same issue. I followed these steps above using Brave Browser and I got it successfully. However, during the test simulation, Pearson OnVue ask to close dmd application. I use Mac OS Ventura 13.0.1, and I can't find this app to close. I found dmd is a device manager, essential to laptop work properly. My exame will be tomorrow and I'm very upset about that. Someone faced with this issue?

May 24, 2024 11:05 AM in response to emcat3477

Tried to pass exam today and nothing was working, even tried to add in automation that it could access all files. This app just uploading it doesn`t ask for permissions or anything, and you cant add it through setting, tried the script, nothing was helping. Just throw OnVue to the trash and never schedule any through it, their support is terrible also!

How to fix OnVue on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.