iMac mid 2015 & loading macOS Big Sur 11.7.8 losing Microsoft Excel

I have a recent purchase of Microsoft 365 subscription but after performing an update macOS Big Sur 11.7.8 today I have lost only Microsoft excel. I still have other 365 applications such as Word and PowerPoint opening from the Mac. If I open my web based subscription I can open word documents and PowerPoint documents on my hard drive but using the excel application, it won’t recognise my excel files as after the upgrade these documents are in Apple’s Numbers format. As I also send stuff to my work PCs I seem as of today lost the ability to open what were stored excel files ? Any thoughts as to how to get excel working with my hard drive files ?

thanks

RoSP

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 2:46 PM

Hey there rohendra,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to provide some assistance.

The actions in this article can help resolve many third-party app related issues:

If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open
If an app on your Mac does not work as expected, try this.

Quit and reopen the app
Quit the app, then open it again. If the app won't quit, force the app to quit. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Restart your Mac
Restart your Mac. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Check for updates
To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, then click Updates. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your Mac. Or if you didn't get the app from the App Store, look for updates to the app on the app developer's website. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Reinstall the app
Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. If you didn't get the app from the App Store, redownload the app on the app developer's website. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Get more help
* If you found the app on the App Store, contact the app developer. If the app is made by Apple or came with your Mac, or if the App Store itself is not responding, contact Apple Support.
* If you bought the app recently and you no longer want it, you can also request a refund.

We recommend following all of the actions mentioned in that article, including the step to contact the app developer to see if there is a compatibility issues after updating.

Keep us posted.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 2:46 PM in response to rohendra

Hey there rohendra,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to provide some assistance.

The actions in this article can help resolve many third-party app related issues:

If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open
If an app on your Mac does not work as expected, try this.

Quit and reopen the app
Quit the app, then open it again. If the app won't quit, force the app to quit. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Restart your Mac
Restart your Mac. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Check for updates
To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, then click Updates. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your Mac. Or if you didn't get the app from the App Store, look for updates to the app on the app developer's website. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Reinstall the app
Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. If you didn't get the app from the App Store, redownload the app on the app developer's website. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Get more help
* If you found the app on the App Store, contact the app developer. If the app is made by Apple or came with your Mac, or if the App Store itself is not responding, contact Apple Support.
* If you bought the app recently and you no longer want it, you can also request a refund.

We recommend following all of the actions mentioned in that article, including the step to contact the app developer to see if there is a compatibility issues after updating.

Keep us posted.

Have a great day!

iMac mid 2015 & loading macOS Big Sur 11.7.8 losing Microsoft Excel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.