Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 13 Overheating after iOS Update

Anyone else experiencing overheating since last update to iOS 16.5.1?

My iPhone 13 max has been mostly perfect. It has the basic issues that all phones have however I noticed two issues since this last update to 16.5.1.

1) my battery dies fast

2) my phone overheats while just sitting there.

I turned off my phone and turned it back on. Not using it and it not plugged in, it overheated.

if I plug it in while on, I get… charging will resume later, your device is too hot. (But I just plugged it it)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2024 7:22 AM

Anyone else experiencing overheating since last update to iOS 17.4.

my phone is just sitting on my bed, not my charger and I pick it up to use it and the glass is extremely hot. I also have a case on it and I can feel the heat through the back of the case as well. Have never an issue with my iPhone. What is going on??

I have had an iPhone since the first one ever came out and now seriously thinking of switching to android because iPhones are NO LONGER durable as they used to be when they were made with metal. The glass on it (front and back) is easy to break, even with a case on it, it’s ridiculous! I mean seriously whose bright idea was this to make a glass back?

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2024 7:22 AM in response to Northstarbrian

Anyone else experiencing overheating since last update to iOS 17.4.

my phone is just sitting on my bed, not my charger and I pick it up to use it and the glass is extremely hot. I also have a case on it and I can feel the heat through the back of the case as well. Have never an issue with my iPhone. What is going on??

I have had an iPhone since the first one ever came out and now seriously thinking of switching to android because iPhones are NO LONGER durable as they used to be when they were made with metal. The glass on it (front and back) is easy to break, even with a case on it, it’s ridiculous! I mean seriously whose bright idea was this to make a glass back?

Jul 4, 2023 8:43 PM in response to Northstarbrian

I genuinely appreciate your advice. I haven’t installed any apps in forever and find this so frustrating. I don’t want to have to jump through hoops to make a phone that costs about a month’s rent to work as advertised. My phone was fine until the update. Apple needs to fix this. If they don’t, I guess I will be getting my work out jumping through those hoops. Ugh. I have been an iPhone user for about 16 years. It certainly seems like my friends with high end android phones don’t have to deal with all of these types of issues. I’m due for an upgrade soon. Maybe it’s just time I concede that iPhone is no longer the best. Idk.

Jul 4, 2023 9:05 PM in response to Northstarbrian

Northstarbrian Said:

"Overheating issue since update 16.5.1: Anyone else experiencing overheating since last update to iOS 16.5.1? My iPhone 13 max has been mostly perfect. It has the basic issues that all phones have however I noticed two issues since this last update to 16.5.1. 1) my battery dies fast 2) my phone overheats while just sitting there.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting an Overheating iPhone:

Perform the following:

I. Cool Down the iPhone:

For a few hours, perform the following...

• Power Off: the iPhone for a bit
  • Unplug: any Cables
  • Place it Atop: Laptop Cooler
  • Keep it in: an open space
  • Keep it Out of: direct sunlight

then...

2. Clear Space Using my User Tips:

See if you need to clear lots of space. System resources may be using up too much services, making it overheat. Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space, Using my User Tips:

Jul 3, 2023 8:31 AM in response to Northstarbrian

What I did is given below

1. Took a backup on iCloud (Which I do regularly)
  2. Logged out of the Apple ID
  3. Erase --> Erase iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
    1. Keep eSIM Data was the option I chose (See the pic)
    2. .
  4. Set up my iPhone and restored it from iCloud Backup

I continued to have the same issue with the heating.

I repeated the above steps but this time I did not restore from the iCloud Backup. I set it up as a new iPhone.

Waited for 3 days. There is no heating issue, now.

Conclusion.:

• There is no hardware issue!
  • This is not an iOS 16.0.3 issue
  • Some Apps or iPhone storage and some settings may be heating up the device.

Action Plan:

• I will now slowly get my all data back one by one.
  • Using the elimination process I will try to find out which app or settings were causing this...

Now the heating issue isn't there anymore. I am adding apps one by one and keeping tab on the heating issue.

My experience says this is purely caused by some third-party app that you may have installed.

I am not aware of the ambient temperature in which you are using the iPhone. However --> Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable ...

Store the device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures. Using an iOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Jul 4, 2023 9:08 PM in response to SravanKrA

Northstarbrian Said:

"Overheating issue since update 16.5.1: Anyone else experiencing overheating since last update to iOS 16.5.1? My iPhone 13 max has been mostly perfect. It has the basic issues that all phones have however I noticed two issues since this last update to 16.5.1. 1) my battery dies fast 2) my phone overheats while just sitting there.[...]"

-------

Overheating iPhone After an Update:

Sure it's been mentioned plenty of times on these forums. Question is, "Just, how many people have actually reported it, directly to Apple?" Apple will not know of this if you do not spread the word to them. So, provide them with feedback...

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more they hear of this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all started after installing the latest update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Nov 17, 2023 1:52 PM in response to DRinTX

DRinTX wrote:

Lawrence, please don’t insult our intelligence. When our phone never gets hot and after an update it heats up just from charging that’s a problem. And when the battery which is fully charged is drained in a matter of several hours, THAT’S also a problem. Obviously it has to do with the recent update, not our hardware… and it’s not our imagination either. 🙄 Verification of this is after the next IOS update the problem was gone. So don’t be condescending or rude. We don’t need a lecture. Just a solution. The solution is the update sucked and we had to wait for the next IOS and HOPE it was better.

If charging and draining in hours, then the battery has likely failed. Health may be 80% or lower, but batteries can fail with other estimates. Contact Apple.

Jul 17, 2023 10:14 PM in response to Northstarbrian

My iPhone 13 Pro is also running hot after the last update.

My activity as not changed. I haven’t downloaded any apps recently. The only variable is the update.

I appreciate the guy who went through probabilities, and that’s all top tier insight. But this ain’t that.

This was a release to fix a WebKit vulnerability in Safari. At least that’s why it was pushed before it was ready. And that checks out! Safari is now using as much energy per hour as YouTube. All I’m doing is reading.

But Safari alone doesn’t account for the rest of it. Whatever it is, I hope they patch it soon!

Nov 17, 2023 1:28 PM in response to Bobbyboi0945

Let’s define “overheating”. If an iPhone overheats it shuts down so it can’t be used, and displays a message saying it must cool down before it can be turned on, and it will probably be unusable for an hour or so. If you are seeing this it is a hardware problem and you should contact Apple support: 

Note that both of the above have options to receive a callback or chat

If you are NOT seeing this your phone has not overheated. However, if you fast charge your phone may pause charging at 80% and display a message saying that charging has paused, and will resume when the phone cools down. This is NOT overheating, and is normal when fast charging. It also won’t prevent you from using any app you have on your phone.

Also, some apps that use a lot of energy or that use cellular data rather than Wi-Fi can cause the phone to run warmer.

Jul 19, 2023 6:15 PM in response to mystelladog

mystelladog Said:

[…]I use the same cable and charger since I purchased this phone. I didn't add an app or change settings. It now overheats when charging and I get about 4 hours when using mail and text only. Just 4 or 5 emails and maybe 5 texts.[…]

———-

Troubleshooting an Overheating iPhone:

Try the following:

I. Cool Down the iPhone:

For a few hours, perform the following...

• Power Off: the iPhone for a bit
  • Unplug: any Cables
  • Place it Atop: Laptop Cooler
  • Keep it in: an open space
  • Keep it Out of: direct sunlight

II. Close All Open Apps:

An app is accessing your audio. So, close all apps. Hold you finger down as you swipe up from the bottom-left corner of the screen. Then, close all of these open apps, by swiping up quickly for each apps.

III. Clear Space Using my User Tips:

See if you need to clear lots of space. System resources may be using up too much services, making it overheat. Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space, Using my User Tips:

Jul 19, 2023 1:47 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you TheLittles, I have reported and put os16.5 in the comment section. My 13 mini was good for an entire day before the upgrade. I use the same cable and charger since I purchased this phone. I didn't add an app or change settings. It now overheats when charging and I get about 4 hours when using mail and text only. Just 4 or 5 emails and maybe 5 texts. I have now deleted most of my apps and shut off everything that has been suggested still the same problem. I find this extremely maddening that I have to delete or shutoff everything I bought the iPhone for because of their obvious error. I appreciate the suggestions but as yourself they do nothing for me. I believe an OS update is the only solution

Jul 19, 2023 6:42 PM in response to Northstarbrian

Hello!

Have you tried to backup and restore?

The links to do this appear below:

Link for how to Back up and Restore: Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or to iCloud - Apple Support

Link for putting iPhone in DFU Mode: If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note: The above material is not my work. Any credit should go to Michael Brooks1  who originally posted it here: Jun 27, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Jubalub. 

Please report back wether performing the above process made the battery drainage worse, fixed it, or if you noticed no change at all. 

Nov 16, 2023 8:57 AM in response to adambeeabdul

adambeeabdul wrote:

iOS 14.8 later how to download

There is no possible way to download iOS 14.8. It is no longer supported.

Go to Settings/General/About and note the iPhone Model Name, then check its version compatibility from this list:

• iPhone XR, XS, SE 2nd or 3rd edition, iPhone 11 and newer: You can update to iOS 17.1.1
  • iPhone 8, and iPhone X you can update to 16.7.2
  • Any iPhone series 6S and 7, and original SE: You can update to 15.8
  • iPhone 5S or 6: You cannot update to iOS 13 or higher; you can update only to iOS 12.5.7
  • iPhone 5: You can update only to 10.3.4
  • iPhone 5C: You can update only to 10.3.3
  • iPhone 4S: You can update only to 9.3.6
  • iPhone 4: You can update only to 7.1.2

If your phone is eligible to be updated go to Settings/General/Software Update and follow the instructions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.