Apple CarPlay keeps disconnecting

CarPlay disconnects and is slow especially when using Waze or Maps. Started two weeks ago. I switched to a new apple usb cable to connect. I have a 2022 rav4

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 10:21 AM

Will apple be coming up with a fix for this problem? Just got an iPhone 15 Pro and the CarPlay drops while I'm driving--just when I need navigation or in the middle of a phone call. there are enough people this is happening to to make apple figure this out. Please keep me appraised of any solutions or updates.

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2023 10:21 AM in response to RAV4newbie

Will apple be coming up with a fix for this problem? Just got an iPhone 15 Pro and the CarPlay drops while I'm driving--just when I need navigation or in the middle of a phone call. there are enough people this is happening to to make apple figure this out. Please keep me appraised of any solutions or updates.

Oct 10, 2023 1:17 AM in response to gorbierd

I have the same problem on a 14 Pro Max running iOS 17.03. Over a variety of MFI certified USB cables the phone connects then disconnects then connects again - all within seconds. So can’t use Car Play at all. This connection issue doesn’t occur when charging via USB - only when trying to access CarPlay. Apple: please don’t just ignore this issue.

Jan 24, 2024 2:29 PM in response to RAV4newbie

I have had the same problem for years (I tried new cables, restarting, forgetting my car, etc.). IMHO this is a problem of software. Sometimes updates fix it, and nothing happened, but now, in IOS 17 it's the worse. The phone disconnects especially when I touch it or even without any moving it. Apple should fix it, because this is very frustrating, even more, I often drive my car as a part of my job. And the second problem is disconnecting speakers and microphone, when I talk to somebody by CarPlay (suddenly it starts to hum, and when I change speaker on my phone and back to my car on my phone, it works again). Please do sth Dear Apple :-)

Jan 6, 2024 11:16 AM in response to raem256

Same is happening to me as well. iPhone 15 pro max and the Car Play also will randomly drop and then no matter what i do to try and get it to work again… it just won’t, then just as suddenly it stops working it will start working again. It is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it will not hook up for like a week!

Dec 10, 2023 4:04 PM in response to RAV4newbie

I have this problem also. I just purchased a Rav4 2 months ago and never had a connection issue with my Iphone 14 Pro Max on any vehicle. I've been testing to find out why it disconnects and since I'm a Network tech, my tools are for wireless is limited on certain bands. I've narrowed it down to interference associated at one intersection near my home. This intersection has a schools fiber connection, a home with solar panels and a traffic control box. If I drive past and don't stop at the light then I am sometimes ok. depending on my speed of passing the intersection, otherwise I disconnect each time I try to pass. So far my wireless tests comes back to say that its maybe a specific frequency that is interfering with the Rav4's system but 3 friends of mine with Toyotas Says that they get disconnected at the same intersection also. I'm still testing to see if I can pinpoint the exact problem cause it happens in other parts of the city also. I know that its interference, but not sure from what...... Strange

Oct 10, 2023 7:57 AM in response to cwjsykes1

CarPlay has stopped working for three of us over the last few days using an usb cord. It will only work by wireless. I've spent hours on it and the phone will not connect via a usb cord like it always did. It now will only connect if I open wireless and connect that way. I don't understand why they did this. I've tried three cords and that is not it. I really think IOS 17 has screwed up a ton of things. I've had nothing but problems since "upgrading" to 17.

Dec 2, 2023 7:22 AM in response to RAV4newbie

I have 2021 and 2019 Tahoes that are having issues with the wireless CarPlay since the ios17 upgrade. Well, the 2021 is wireless CarPlay and the 19 is just bluetooth. The 2021 is dropping the the connection about 15-20 seconds into the call. Switches back to the phone for a period of time. Then goes back onto the phone. You can see the messages on the screen. The 2019 does does not respond when you push and hold the voice button. The Siri logo sits there with no response- no ding...nothing. If I reset the phone, it may work once or twice then stop. No issues with either on the ios16....sigh. I am at the latest- 17.1.2. Disconnected and reset things a few times with both vehicles. Obviously didn't fix anything. Even tried the 'change the language' trick in the Tahoe menus. Since GM hasn't updated any software on either platform in some time (researched it), I am going to pin this on Apple.

Jul 3, 2023 10:26 PM in response to RAV4newbie

If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions. If Content & Privacy Restrictions is on, tap Allowed Apps, and make sure that CarPlay is enabled. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car.

If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support (IN)

Jul 3, 2023 10:28 PM in response to RAV4newbie

Your device is probably not connected to the internet or is not stable. There are a few steps you can take to verify the connectivity of your device.

Firstly, you can open a web browser on your device. When you open a web browser, the initial page that loads is typically based on your browsing history or cookies. To further confirm the connection, you can tap on any link on that website. If the link opens and displays the corresponding content, it confirms that your device is indeed connected to the internet.

Another method to check internet connectivity is by opening a specific application that requires an internet connection. WhatsApp is an example of such an application. When you launch WhatsApp, it immediately attempts to establish a connection with its servers to synchronize your chats and display any new messages. If you can see your chat conversations and receive real-time updates, it indicates that your device is connected to the internet.

Connecting to Wi-Fi is the initial step, followed by establishing an internet connection.

However, it's important to note that connecting to Wi-Fi does not automatically guarantee an internet connection. In the event that you are unable to connect to Wi-Fi, the issue may stem from settings on your iPhone or the router/modem.

On the other hand, if you are unable to establish an internet connection despite being connected to Wi-Fi, the problem is likely related to the settings on your router/modem. In such cases, it is advisable to promptly contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency that issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency that provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Apple CarPlay keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.