You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone ringtone quiet - even on loudest setting

My wife just bought a new iPhone 13 a week ago, ringtone is hard to hear even ringtone sound and haptics is set to the loudest setting. Notification sounds r louder than ringtone. Why? Is the iPhone defective or just a software issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 12:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2024 5:53 AM

Problem: iPhone rings very quietly.

Checked attention aware, it was off.

The ping for SMS and other notifications is really loud whilst the phone rings very quietly. I can usually hear it in the next room, now it’s so quiet I don’t notice it ringing when it’s in front of me.

I’ve tried restarting.

I’m on iOS 17.2.1 and all the sliders and buttons are set to their loudest setting.

help!!!

52 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2024 5:53 AM in response to OCbrian16

Problem: iPhone rings very quietly.

Checked attention aware, it was off.

The ping for SMS and other notifications is really loud whilst the phone rings very quietly. I can usually hear it in the next room, now it’s so quiet I don’t notice it ringing when it’s in front of me.

I’ve tried restarting.

I’m on iOS 17.2.1 and all the sliders and buttons are set to their loudest setting.

help!!!

Jan 26, 2024 7:49 AM in response to chihan_

None of these worked for me. Phone was set to top ringer volume and side button volume, but still no sound when calling the phone. The answer for me was in "sound and haptics" under settings. Something moved the volume to zero (not me)--must have been an update. Very frustrating as I have missed a lot of important calls because of it. It also changed my new voicemail tone!!

Jan 23, 2024 12:38 AM in response to Cherub7171

Even if you have the ringtone set to loud via buttons and soft switches, the ringtone is quiet if you are looking at the phone when it rings. This is due to the Attention Aware “feature”.

Switch off the Attention Aware in TWO places.

1. Settings/Accessibility/Face ID & Attention
  2. Settings/Accessibility/Voice Control (the final option on that page so scroll down)

hope that helps.

Nov 4, 2023 6:48 PM in response to Eric--F

Pre-iOS 17 I found that just disabling attention aware features did nothing. I had to completely disable FaceID to get loud ringtones again.

The upgrade to iOS 17 re-enabled attention aware features, and I disabled it and Face ID again, but ringtone volumes are still completely borked again since media volume now also controls ringtone volume.

Jul 5, 2023 5:54 PM in response to Cherub7171

Hi Cherub7171,

Although the ringtone volume is up in settings, this might be due to the volume being lowered on the phone. Try calling your wife and as the call is ringing, have your wife press the volume up button. Does the volume appear to be turned up all the way on the slider that appears? If so, you can lock the ringer volume in and prevent it being changed with the side buttons by disabling Change with Buttons if you'd like. Below guidance is from Adjust the volume on iPhone - Apple Support.

"Lock the ringer and alert volumes in Settings

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap Sounds & Haptics (on supported models) or Sounds (on other iPhone models).
  3. Turn off Change with Buttons."

Also, check if your wife is looking at the phone while you call. This new feature called Attention Awareness will lower the volume when the camera sees the owner looking at it. Turn Attention Aware features on or off on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

She can also turn that feature off, and test, OR have the phone facing down when you test.

Kind regards.

iPhone ringtone quiet - even on loudest setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.