You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make a font italic in final cut pro when one is not included

I am working with the trial version of FCP to decide whether to move from Adobe Premier Pro to FCP. Our logo for our YouTube channel uses Marker Felt Italic. Although FCP has Marker Felt, it does not have an italic version of the font. How can I easily make a version of the font that is italic?

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 5:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 9:09 AM

From what I can tell, there never was a "Marker Felt Italic" released by the original artist (Pat Snyder). The originals were Thin and Wide. Apple "bought"/licensed the font and made a few alterations.

As such, I'm assuming Marker Felt Italic is a bit of a "rip".

This is Marker Felt (Thin) "transformed" in Motion:

To me, it looks nearly identical to the Marker Felt Italic font available on fontzone.net.

Final Cut doesn't provide the feature, but Motion does. In the Text > Format inspector, there is a parameter called "Slant". I used 12.0 (degrees) for this example. For a logo, you could use any graphics application that allows for this kind of "distortion" (and they almost all do!) and just make a "one-off" graphic instead of adding another font or creating a Motion template that allows slanting.

Slanting is *not* italics, but most people really don't know the difference and with a font like Marker, you can get away with it.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2023 9:09 AM in response to adiverslife

From what I can tell, there never was a "Marker Felt Italic" released by the original artist (Pat Snyder). The originals were Thin and Wide. Apple "bought"/licensed the font and made a few alterations.

As such, I'm assuming Marker Felt Italic is a bit of a "rip".

This is Marker Felt (Thin) "transformed" in Motion:

To me, it looks nearly identical to the Marker Felt Italic font available on fontzone.net.

Final Cut doesn't provide the feature, but Motion does. In the Text > Format inspector, there is a parameter called "Slant". I used 12.0 (degrees) for this example. For a logo, you could use any graphics application that allows for this kind of "distortion" (and they almost all do!) and just make a "one-off" graphic instead of adding another font or creating a Motion template that allows slanting.

Slanting is *not* italics, but most people really don't know the difference and with a font like Marker, you can get away with it.

Jul 6, 2023 5:50 AM in response to adiverslife

If you don't need to make any changes or animate the logo, you'd probably be better saving it as an image file - a png with large enough resolution would be fine - you could export that right out of FCP, with transparency. Or you could create a vectorial pdf for arbitrary resolution. This would ensure that you always have a consistent logo.

Alternatively, if you have Motion, you could open (a copy) in Motion, set the kerning there and save it; this custom title would have the kerning you selected by default.

How to make a font italic in final cut pro when one is not included

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.