Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

CarPlay music switches to Voice speaker when near home and/or randomly

(coping from another post but same issue)

So I use CarPlay to play all my music, there is a strange issue I've had for years now. The seems to only happen around my apartment or sometimes randomly in the car. It happens with all music apps (Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal). The CarPlay system switches the audio to Voice Control (music is lower quality, sounds almost mono) as if I am playing music through a phone call (think of when you are on hold listening to music). The only way to stop this is to pause the music or press siri to interrupt it. The music goes back to playing normally after that. This has happen in different cars (Lexus to Mazda). I believe the issue is an app that triggers this switch, almost of the mic is trying listen, like Alexa. Not sure what to do, its very annoying.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2024 5:20 PM

Did you ever find an answer to this? I have the exact same issue. Happens whenever I drive into or out of my neighborhood, it always switches in the same place. My husband has the same phone and has never had this problem. I’m baffled.

Similar questions

13 replies

Jan 17, 2024 4:54 PM in response to Willmiami

The only answer submitted is not an answer. The default solution of just make sure everything is updated is so ridiculous. You listed the exact problem I have. When I get in front of my apartment complex the audio switches to voice on CarPlay. This happens on wired CarPlay and wireless CarPlay. I have not figured out what could be causing it. But I am going to disable the Alexa app after you mentioned that something could be trying to use the mic. The only thing I can think of is Alexa and my smart bulbs that at one point in time I told to turn on when I arrived home. Did you ever figure out what could be doing it? My smart bulb is through the Kasa app so maybe I should try disabling that as well.

Jan 21, 2024 3:23 PM in response to Willmiami

This is clearly not an isolated issue. Apple needs to fix this ongoing problem!

I have this exact same issue. Using Carplay on brand new Mazda CX-30 however the issue first appeared last year when I updated to iOS17. Back then I had a Mazda 3.

The issue happens on both wireless and wired Carplay connection.

On my previous car I could toggle siri and the audio would correctly switch back to stereo instead of call/microphone channel, now that trick does not work. The only thing that works now is restarting the phone (iPhone 14 pro).

Feb 5, 2024 8:49 PM in response to remanuelg

I also have this baffling issue. When close to the house AirPlay uses the voice channel in my Mercedes. It’s very obvious not just because the audio quality is garbage but also because the volume control indicates I am adjusting the voice call volume. It’s not the worst coming home but leaving the house it’s a pain because it can take up to three minutes of tin can audio before it switches.

Mar 25, 2024 9:30 AM in response to Willmiami

I have this same issue! I have an iPhone 15 with latest updates.

When carplay is connected, the car's stereo system will switch from Audio mode to Voice mode every time I cross the same threshold (the intersection just down the street from my house). I usually end up reverting it back to Audio mode by pressing the Voice button on my steering wheel.

I have a 2016 F150 with a CarlinKit wireless Carplay adapter and a 2021 Palisade that I connect to Carplay via USB cable. Both vehicles behave the same exact way at the same geographic threshold (the intersection down the street from my house). My wife's iPhone 11 (with latest updates) does not have this behavior at all.

I have no Alexa routines that use my location to trigger any actions, so I don't think that's the problem. In fact, I don't have any smart home devices that use my location to trigger any actions. This is a good idea though because the phone is doing something to trigger switch to Voice at quite literally the same exact spot every time. It's quite repeatable and accurate when it happens too. Drives me insane!!

EDIT: I did look through my settings on Alexa and found a setting for "Auto Mode". I had "Send a phone notification" toggled to on. I just toggled this off. I will see if this helps when I go home later today!

Jul 6, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Willmiami

Hi Willmiami,

We recommend follow the steps below, from this article, to see if this helps with CarPlay and this issue you're encountering:

First, you'll want to make sure that the iPhone you are connecting to CarPlay is fully up-to-date, as this may help resolve this issue. If needed, this article walks through how to do that: Update your iPhone or iPad

After that, we recommend that CarPlay is fully up-to-date as well to ensure it has the latest firmware, which may resolve issues. If needed, you can check your car's manual for more information or check with the car manufacturer.

If those steps don't help or if you've already tried those steps, please reach out to Apple Support for further assistance here: Get Support

Take care.

CarPlay music switches to Voice speaker when near home and/or randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.