Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What is the best OS to upgrade to from Mojave

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina mid 2012) operating on Mojave. I've been sitting on a notice to upgrade to Catalina fro months/years and have decided to bite the bullet. Before doing so I noticed that Catalina is not the latest OS so now I am wondering what to do in terms of upgrading the OS. Other than email and surfing the net I primarily use this laptop for photo editing using Luminar. Any suggestions as to what to do? Or is it time to buy a newer computer (I am perfectly satisfied with this device other than the software issue which I think is constraining me and will become even worse)?

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 6:02 PM

If you do want to install Catalina, you can get it from here:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

3 replies

Jul 6, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Wmgitt

If you upgrade to Catalina, 32-bit applications will stop working. But you won't have one of the "most recent three" major versions of the operating system – so you'll still be locked out of getting new application software from some vendors like Microsoft and Adobe.

Unless there's something in Catalina that's a "must have", your best courses of action might be either to sit tight on Mojave, or to bite the bullet and buy a new Mac that runs a current version of the operating system.

What is the best OS to upgrade to from Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.