I Movie

I've created a project on iMovie and I'd like to copy it to a USB stick to give to another family. However I don't seem to be able to export it in its full 8GB format, only a lighter version for YouTube? Am I missing something? I used to be able to do this.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 8:49 AM

You are definitely not a "lost cause". Applications can mess up, and it happens to all of us.

So, what are the file size and resolution of the exported movie to your desktop versus the original movie? Open them in QuickTimePlayer and do a Window/Show Movie Inspector to get the specs.

Make sure that your USB drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. If it is formatted FAT 32, a Windows format, then any one file will be limited to 4 GBin sized no matter what the overall capacity of the drive may be. If you are going to plug the drive into a TV, then format it EXFAT. You can reformat drives using the Disk Utility app on your Mac. Be aware that reformatting a drive will erase all data on it, so first back up any data that you want to keep.

Another thing that you can try is to export the project to an Email instead of as a desktop file. Then you will be given file size choices when you click on "Resolution" in the share box that appears.

Choose your size and click on the Share button in the lower right of the screen. Wait for the rendering process to finish, and then an email template will pop up with the movie in it. Don't send the email, but instead drag the movie to your desktop. It will have the file size that you selected when you exported it.

To rule out a corrupt preference in the iMovie app, delete/reset the preferences. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that

will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. Now see if you get an export with the proper resolution.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 8:49 AM in response to Johnthestrugglingdirector

You are definitely not a "lost cause". Applications can mess up, and it happens to all of us.

So, what are the file size and resolution of the exported movie to your desktop versus the original movie? Open them in QuickTimePlayer and do a Window/Show Movie Inspector to get the specs.

Make sure that your USB drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. If it is formatted FAT 32, a Windows format, then any one file will be limited to 4 GBin sized no matter what the overall capacity of the drive may be. If you are going to plug the drive into a TV, then format it EXFAT. You can reformat drives using the Disk Utility app on your Mac. Be aware that reformatting a drive will erase all data on it, so first back up any data that you want to keep.

Another thing that you can try is to export the project to an Email instead of as a desktop file. Then you will be given file size choices when you click on "Resolution" in the share box that appears.

Choose your size and click on the Share button in the lower right of the screen. Wait for the rendering process to finish, and then an email template will pop up with the movie in it. Don't send the email, but instead drag the movie to your desktop. It will have the file size that you selected when you exported it.

To rule out a corrupt preference in the iMovie app, delete/reset the preferences. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that

will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. Now see if you get an export with the proper resolution.

-- Rich

Jul 10, 2023 3:49 PM in response to Johnthestrugglingdirector

Your original video imported into iMovie may have been less compressed (therefore larger file size) than the Mp4 movie that was exported by iMovie. The more compressed export could account for the smaller file size of the export. That doesn't mean that the quality of the movie is less or that it is a "lighter version". Best thing is to play the movie and see if it looks O.K. to you.

If you want to increase the file size you can export from iMovie at a higher bitrate or resolution.

-- Rich

Jul 11, 2023 1:34 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich, but the lighter version is for YouTube and looks fine on a smaller screen, if I play it on a TV or even this monitor is has lost all of the definition. I was able to play the original off this Mac via a cable to a large TV and it was perfect. The film was originally shot on a Go Pro 7.

I'm afraid I don't understand your last point, really sorry I'm just following my nose. Certainly the film in iMovie is 8GB. I just don't understand why I cannot pick it up in iMovie and drop it into a 10GB stick on my desk top.

Am I a lost cause?

Thanks again for trying to help.

John

I Movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.