Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My iphone was stolen - Apple helping thieves?

My 3 week old iphone 14 pro max was stolen Saturday night.

Before theft facts: It was initially restored from the old xs max with side to side data transfer. I hadn't realized find my iphone was off, because seeing a message when it run out of battery that "find my iphone works even with the device off". That left me assured that find my iphone is activated and I never checked to see settings on my then new iphone.

After theft: Phone was snatched about 3 am. Thief managed to call last person called at 8am from my iphone (how?). I called my brother next morning 10 am to login into find my iphone and he saw it in the phone list with no location, turned on lost mode and set a message to call his mobile number. Apple support line is closed on weekends so couldnt do anything else!

Today Monday: I called apple who were completely unhelpful and wouldnt tell whether a) lost mode is activated on the device and more important b)they wouldn't block/brick the device citing personal data reasons! In my question whether the "thief" would be able to use a stolen iphone if they manage to reset it, they wouldn't say which means yes! My stolen iphone could even end up at an apple store somewhere for warranty work!

Rightnow the phone is shown with 11 months left warranty and Apple refused to mark it as lost/stolen despite me having a purchase receipt and police report.

In the day when tech tracks what time we go to the toilet and what we ate for lunch, apple with these practices cant remotely help its customers and essentially aiding thieves... Generally if stolen iphones cant be used, they are parted out but each part is traceable, especially on newer iphones. If stolen iphones or their parts are useless to thieves, thieves would stop stealing them.

Gutted...

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 9:32 AM

Apple NEVER gets involved with lost or stolen devices. Any more than your car manufacturer would get involved with a stolen car.

The default for FIND MY when you set up a new phone is ON if you are logged in with your Apple ID. Just the act of logging in turns it on.

The only way anyone could have used the phone to make a phone call is if it was unlocked. If the phone had a physical SIM (Outside of the US only) the thief could remove the SIM and put it in another phone.

Did you fall for a common phishing scam: You may get a text or email from “Apple” or “Apple Security” (or sometimes “Police”) saying your phone has been found and to click on a link to see its location. This is NEVER from Apple or from law enforcement; it is from the thief or fence to steal your Apple ID and identity. Delete any such message without responding to it. Apple never gets involved in lost or stolen devices→Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 9:32 AM in response to silkman

Apple NEVER gets involved with lost or stolen devices. Any more than your car manufacturer would get involved with a stolen car.

The default for FIND MY when you set up a new phone is ON if you are logged in with your Apple ID. Just the act of logging in turns it on.

The only way anyone could have used the phone to make a phone call is if it was unlocked. If the phone had a physical SIM (Outside of the US only) the thief could remove the SIM and put it in another phone.

Did you fall for a common phishing scam: You may get a text or email from “Apple” or “Apple Security” (or sometimes “Police”) saying your phone has been found and to click on a link to see its location. This is NEVER from Apple or from law enforcement; it is from the thief or fence to steal your Apple ID and identity. Delete any such message without responding to it. Apple never gets involved in lost or stolen devices→Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Jul 19, 2023 7:22 AM in response to silkman

Just an update FYI.

Spoke twice with Apple, last time over an hour long, they won't do anything on the basis they refuse to recognize me as the owner (I have box iphone box + purchase receipt + police report). But mods will delete the IMEI and serial screenshot in this thread.

Apparently that is because "find my", apparently, was never switched on on the new iphone (default setting off).

Apple official distributor service shop (we dont have apple stores here), sadly told me that my stolen iphone can be erased (despite having apple id and 6 digit code and faceid activated) and used as a new phone, including warranty, by anyone carrying it on their person.

You've been warned.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 10, 2023 11:23 AM in response to silkman

I don't know if Activation Lock would keep thieves from gutting an iPhone for parts, but it sure looks to me like it would make it a lot harder for them to fence a stolen iPhone as a working phone.

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Note the part about how to protect yourself if buying a second-hand iPhone:

"On a device with iOS or iPadOS 15 or later that is protected by Activation Lock, you see an "iPhone Locked to Owner" screen when you turn on or wake the device. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it's protected by Activation Lock."

But I believe you do need to mark the phone as lost (using Find My) to lock it in this way.

Jul 10, 2023 2:03 PM in response to silkman

silkman wrote:

Many telcos in Europe, including mine, mark IMEIs as stolen. Had the sim card replaced today and they will do this for said Apple IMEI as soon as I have the police report in my hands and provide them a copy. Whether something comes out of this is irrelevant.

Yes, telcos (all of them) can do that. It doesn't change the fact that Apple cannot.

Jul 19, 2023 9:24 AM in response to silkman

Legally it makes sense really, if you buy iPhone and the sell it keeping box receipt and all and then report it stolen later on if apple were to interfere with such situations they would be active parties in theft and scam lawsuits, pretty sure much more expensive product manufacturers like car and boat makers handles it the same way.

My iphone was stolen - Apple helping thieves?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.