If I remove a device from my iCloud, is all of the data on the device removed?

I lost my phone about two years ago and I've long since given up on finding it. However, it was offline when I lost it and therefore was not able to wipe the phone once I had given up. So, if I remove the phone from my iCloud, and by some chance somebody finds it and it isn't broken, will they be able to access my data assuming they can guess my password? I have a very weak password, but if removing the phone from my iCloud doesn't cancel the Erase function from working or otherwise wipes the phone I don't care about whether whoever finds it can contact me.

iPhone 8 Plus, 14

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 12:16 PM

OK, thanks.

Sort of unrelated question then - why does the Apple page If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support say to, as a final step, remove the phone from your account if it opens your data up to strangers?

8 replies

Jul 14, 2023 12:20 PM in response to btdocto

OK, thanks.

Sort of unrelated question then - why does the Apple page If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support say to, as a final step, remove the phone from your account if it opens your data up to strangers?

EDIT - sorry, I selected the wrong post! The actual best answer is

>Leave it on there. It is still your phone. There's a remote chance that if somebody turns it on it will receive the erase command.

by Limnos

EDIT 2 - apparently it doesn't edit the "best answer" header...

Jul 14, 2023 12:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

So the safest bet is to leave it on my account indefinitely so that if someone finds it and connects it to the internet it will erase itself?

As for my passcode, it is one of the easiest passcodes to guess unfortunately.

> In effect, you will be giving someone a free phone to set up as they please.

Would the free phone I'm giving have all my accounts signed in and personal information, or would it be an empty phone without all those things?

If I remove a device from my iCloud, is all of the data on the device removed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.