Why won’t my apps open in my MacBook pro

Why have all my apps stopped working. Every time I try to open I get a message it has quit unexpectedly

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 5:31 AM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2023 1:12 AM in response to Pepper04

Re: "Why have all my apps stopped working. Every time I try to open I get a message it has quit unexpectedly"

Am wondering if your Mac has enough memory / storage free in which to operate smoothly. (Eg: at least 50Gb free)

To check: Try Apple Menu (Black Apple on left of top menu )> About this Mac > Storage (Top menu)

If needed: How to: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 21, 2023 4:08 PM in response to Pepper04

Thank you kindly for your reply ... the issue may be arising for any one of various reasons, and we can't tell what you have checked from your postings.

Third-party (non-Apple) apps can often cause difficulties, especially unnecessary virus-checkers, cleaners, ad-blockers, and the like, or apps that need updating to remain compatible. Even VPN can cause interference. If any are installed, try turning these off, (or use uninstallers from their developers if found disruptive).

Else: You could check CPU / memory use with Activity Monitor

(If no square black icon in the dock ... Applications > Utility)

View information about Mac processes in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

You can try starting up in Safe Mode, and find out if the issue persists there.

(May take awhile to boot): Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode:

Leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally, then see if apps open normally.

If so, the issue might have been resolved by the other things that safe mode did at startup.

Why won’t my apps open in my MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.