My daughters phone creates a specific group chat whenever she tries to iMessage my phone number

Everytime she tries to message only me, it creates the same group chat. If you try to edit the contacts in the group chat, the message app crashes. I’ve erased the phone and re installed from her iCloud back up. No change.

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 1:33 AM

To begin, please ask your daughter to enter your phone number and ask them to send a message to that number first. When you enter a phone number that is part of your contact list in the "To" field, groups will not be suggested.

After this step, when you start typing a name, the system will prioritize individual contacts first. If you happen to be part of a group with a similar name, it will then offer the group as a secondary option.

Please see the pic below.

Types of group text messages

There are three types of group messages that you might see: group iMessage, group MMS, and group SMS. The Messages app automatically chooses the type of group message to send based on settings, network connection, and carrier plan. For example:

• If you and your recipients are using Apple devices and iMessage is turned on, then the group message is sent as an iMessage.
  • If you send a group message to people who aren't using iMessage, then the message is sent as an MMS or SMS message.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 1:33 AM in response to 737guy4

To begin, please ask your daughter to enter your phone number and ask them to send a message to that number first. When you enter a phone number that is part of your contact list in the "To" field, groups will not be suggested.

After this step, when you start typing a name, the system will prioritize individual contacts first. If you happen to be part of a group with a similar name, it will then offer the group as a secondary option.

Please see the pic below.

Types of group text messages

There are three types of group messages that you might see: group iMessage, group MMS, and group SMS. The Messages app automatically chooses the type of group message to send based on settings, network connection, and carrier plan. For example:

• If you and your recipients are using Apple devices and iMessage is turned on, then the group message is sent as an iMessage.
  • If you send a group message to people who aren't using iMessage, then the message is sent as an MMS or SMS message.

My daughters phone creates a specific group chat whenever she tries to iMessage my phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.