Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Having to purchase Apple TV movies again.

This may all be all in my head. I have a big library of purchased movies and tv shows on Apple TV, so it's hard to keep track. That said, every once in a while I'll see a movie for sale that I could have sworn I purchased years ago, but when I click on the thumbnail it says I don't own it. Is it possible that I did purchase these movies, but somehow Apple decided to cancel my ownership? Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks!

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 8:19 PM

Did you check your purchase history?

Read this support article for directions about how to see your purchase history in the App Store or iTunes Store [mobile device, computer, or web] --> View your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and other Apple media services - Apple Support

- Does not include purchases made by others under Family Sharing; those have to be checked from their accounts.

- Web: "To see charges from older purchases, you might need to look at your purchase history in Settings or the App Store."

- iOS device or computer: If you want to see purchases that you made more than 90 days prior, "tap Last 90 Days, then select a different date range."

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 8:19 PM in response to jzakary

Did you check your purchase history?

Read this support article for directions about how to see your purchase history in the App Store or iTunes Store [mobile device, computer, or web] --> View your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and other Apple media services - Apple Support

- Does not include purchases made by others under Family Sharing; those have to be checked from their accounts.

- Web: "To see charges from older purchases, you might need to look at your purchase history in Settings or the App Store."

- iOS device or computer: If you want to see purchases that you made more than 90 days prior, "tap Last 90 Days, then select a different date range."

Apr 9, 2024 8:12 PM in response to USNAVYAQ

As you can see from the terms of use (and it has always said that), Apple doesn't guarantee they will always be available. They try, but if an artist decides to pull an item then they are not available in the store anymore. Apple sells them but doesn't guarantee their custodianship. I would always consider Apple's iCloud services to be a convenience for just the situations you mention, but nothing beats having your own copy on a drive somewhere in your home.

Apr 9, 2024 1:15 PM in response to USNAVYAQ

What happened to your backups?. Here are some situations when things may not be available:

Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions - Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

- "Our Services are available for your use in your country of residence (“Home Country”).

And: "Certain Services and Content available to you in your Home Country may not be available to you when traveling outside of your Home Country."

- " Purchased Content will generally remain available for you to download, redownload, or otherwise access from Apple. Though it is unlikely, subsequent to your purchase, Content may be removed from the Services (for instance, because the provider removed it) and become unavailable for further download or access from Apple. To ensure your ability to continue enjoying Content, we encourage you to download all purchased Content to a device in your possession and to back it up."

I don't know for sure but I believe if something is not showing as having been purchased (and you have only ever had a single account and did not get it via Family Sharing) then it is possible it may have been reissued. For example, a remastered CD. You bought the original, not the remastered one, but maybe the original one was withdrawn when the remastered one was put up? I don't know for sure.

Jul 23, 2023 10:49 AM in response to jzakary

I believe it is possible, but because if something is reissued then it may be classed as a different item. I have seen others report this with music where a release was eventually replaced with a remastered version. It is not the same thing so it gets a different code. If the artist then decides that the remastered version is all they want up there then the original will disappear. Since they are not the same thing then if you want to redownload you have to buy the new version.

Jul 23, 2023 11:25 AM in response to jzakary

Thanks Limnos! It's a weird thing. It happens maybe once every few months. For example, I had to repurchase the movie Existenz today, which I would have bet $100 I already own. Maybe it's an issue of licensing rights? That a new company buys the rights to the movie then nullifies any previous digital purchases?

Apr 9, 2024 12:21 PM in response to jzakary

I really like that someone is giving advice about checking purchase history. Why look. I had over 15 movies gone from my movie list. I have over 20 albums not showing up as purchased. I can provide date purchased and show the Apple Rep while on the phone the receipt and they are unable to do anything about it.

I gave up. I have gone back to buying CD's and Blu-Ray's. I don't trust them or the service. In my opinion when they tore iTunes apart and wanted to marry The Music App with the On-Line subscription that did it for my music collection. As far as the movies go. I think they just botched it. One not explaining that the movies might not be there. But worse - don't even tell the customers to backup what they purchased it's leaving or going to be taken off the site. Second - I know that sometimes it is a simple change to the movie - a rerelease so the old one is gone but you don't get the new release. WHY can't they offer it at a discount to replace what you purchased.

I'm not an Apple believer anymore. Steve brought me to them from Windows. Tim has done nothing to keep me.

Apr 9, 2024 3:55 PM in response to Limnos

My backups - NOT THE POINT. I got the movies to be able to watch when and were I want. ONLINE! Well a backup doesn't help me in the doctor's office I think I want to watch - I need to think about it before hand and have it loaded on the iPad or Phone. What if I'm someone's house and I say, 'Ya I have that." Oh! Let me go get my back up! - - Back in 2008 when this stuff hit - you bought so you could have them on the device and carry. Needed to be in the eco system for it to work. NOW! I'm over it.

It was suppose to be convenient, easy and fun. Now its gone.

Having to purchase Apple TV movies again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.