You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Max’s volume goes to max by itself after standby

If I take them off my head to do something and put them back on without ever putting them back into their case the AirPods Max’s volume will spike to its max volume. The volume displayed doesn’t change at all in either Notification Center or the music app and stays that loud without changing the volume with either the Digital Crown or the side volume buttons. Even funnier is that I’ve on more than one occasion gotten one of those unhealthy sound level notifications from this. I’ve never had this happen with my AirPods Pro 2nd generation, but it happens consistently with the AirPods Max

edit: I am having this happen on my iPhone 14 pro max running iOS 16.3.1 not an iPhone 6 running iOS 10. I’ve had several phones since the iPhone 6 so I don’t know why that’s what appears

iPhone 6

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 2:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 3:05 PM

To address this problem, you can try the following steps:

1. Check for Software Updates: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest iOS version. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for any available updates.
  2. Reset AirPods Max: On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth, and tap the "i" icon next to your AirPods Max. Then, choose "Forget This Device" and confirm. After that, put your AirPods Max in their case, close the lid, and wait for about 15 seconds. Open the lid, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light flashes amber, then re-pair your AirPods Max with your iPhone.
  3. Check Audio Source: Ensure that the audio source (e.g., music app, video player) you're using is not causing the volume spike. Try playing different media to see if the issue persists.

If the problem continues, it may be a hardware or software issue specific to your AirPods Max. Contact Apple Support for further assistance or possible replacement if your AirPods Max are under warranty.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 23, 2023 3:05 PM in response to Yepitspat

To address this problem, you can try the following steps:

1. Check for Software Updates: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest iOS version. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for any available updates.
  2. Reset AirPods Max: On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth, and tap the "i" icon next to your AirPods Max. Then, choose "Forget This Device" and confirm. After that, put your AirPods Max in their case, close the lid, and wait for about 15 seconds. Open the lid, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light flashes amber, then re-pair your AirPods Max with your iPhone.
  3. Check Audio Source: Ensure that the audio source (e.g., music app, video player) you're using is not causing the volume spike. Try playing different media to see if the issue persists.

If the problem continues, it may be a hardware or software issue specific to your AirPods Max. Contact Apple Support for further assistance or possible replacement if your AirPods Max are under warranty.

AirPods Max’s volume goes to max by itself after standby

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.