Strange left overs from a bug from a few years ago with com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper

HP software force removed by a Apple bug a few years ago and I have not been able to get this fixed since then:

Jul 23 18:09:17 computername com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper[981]): LaunchServices returned a bundle URL that does not match with the LoginItem's known association.

Jul 23 18:09:17 computername com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper[981]): Service exited with abnormal code: 78

Jul 23 18:09:17 computername com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 23 18:09:27 computername com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper[986]): LaunchServices returned a bundle URL that does not match with the LoginItem's known association.

Jul 23 18:09:27 computername com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper[986]): Service exited with abnormal code: 78

Jul 23 18:09:27 computername com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

I have tried both sudo and non sudo to remove the non existent file from the launchd database and it seems to work but macOS bug (I think it was reported by someone about 3 years ago) adds back in the corruption to the launchd database.

HP Smart on macOS does not have that that I know of as it is just the Windows program running via WINE (also is the only way to access the printers web service as HP has failed to enable TLS 1.2 on the printer, which is not an old printer)

Anyone have any ideas how to get it removed a and stops the flooding of the system log with those messages.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 5:15 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Jul 24, 2023 2:43 PM in response to Apple a day

Doing that will brick the ability to set any settings on the HP printer (HP has refused to enabled via firmware update TLS 1.2, I think it has only TLS 1.0 and lower enabled). You can't navigate to the printers web interface via any browser.

Fascinating. That is a most unique way of managing a printer (of all things) but it's not surprising. If you want to keep that printer in service I surmise you will need to tolerate its affect on your Mac's performance.

Same goes for the "anti-virus" junk for that matter. All those things can do is make a Mac run poorly. You can see for yourself that they are active and affecting that Mac's performance, while conveying no benefit and increasing its threat profile.

It's your Mac though, so do as you please.

Mar 27, 2024 2:41 PM in response to Apple a day

Apple a day wrote:

Still no fix for this and users can't remove HP Smart as if they do they can't connect to the printers web interface at all in any browser (printer lacks TLS 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 support due to HP refusing to fix the security bug they have known about for a long time).

Need to figure out why that has been flooding the logs for years even manually removing it does not work as macOS adds it back (no clue why it is adding a non existent file path to the launch database

Y’all will want to discuss disentangling HP apps with HP Support.

Maybe this: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1980013-1980057-16

If that fails, a backup and an erase and install, and a migration (without transferring the apps) is likely the most supportable way to remove whatever dangling bits are still left around.

Jul 23, 2023 7:23 PM in response to Apple a day

Something is causing LaunchServices to invoke that process.

Do me a favor and run EtreCheck. A description and instructions are here: How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report - Apple Community. At your option post its report in a reply to this Discussion. After posting please make sure you can read it because if you can't, no one else will be able to either.

Jul 24, 2023 2:58 PM in response to Apple a day

Apple a day wrote:

Doing that will brick the ability to set any settings on the HP printer (HP has refused to enabled via firmware update TLS 1.2, I think it has only TLS 1.0 and lower enabled). You can't navigate to the printers web interface via any browser. (Printer is less than 8 years old, and can do .tiff image scans at over 1GB per scan)

Which particular printer model?

If you do decide to replace: Which Printer Should I Buy? - Apple Community

Jul 24, 2023 2:53 PM in response to John Galt

As I mentioned that antivirus section is buggy and has been for over a years, and there is no performance hit I am getting with just one real time antimalware scanner.

"Fascinating. That is a most unique way of managing a printer (of all things) but it's not surprising. If you want to keep that printer in service I surmise you will need to tolerate its affect on your Mac's performance."

Except there will be hundreds if not thousands of users with this issue after the HP screw up a few years ago, and the error message points to macOS trying to launch something where there is no file there (the HPSmart one as I said seems to be dead code, there is not even a setting in there for it and I don't think it is even active as there is no process for it in activity monitor)

It is actively flooding the logs (Apple is getting the reports from diagnostic reports for a few years now)

Side note I sent the EtreCheck dev another crash report that I get with every macOS update. I have had an account on the forums here for over 15 years (strange a lot of my other subscriptions are missing due to some site bug)

Jul 24, 2023 2:00 PM in response to John Galt

Doing that will brick the ability to set any settings on the HP printer (HP has refused to enabled via firmware update TLS 1.2, I think it has only TLS 1.0 and lower enabled). You can't navigate to the printers web interface via any browser. (Printer is less than 8 years old, and can do .tiff image scans at over 1GB per scan)

That message predates HP Smart and you have to have it installed to access the web interface of the printers due to a security bug with HP printers. It does flood the console with that message and as I have said I have been able to temp remove the leftovers from the latch db via console but it gets added back by next long in. From what I can tell HP has some dead code in their app and that com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper is left over from HP utility and others that are blocked by XProtect due to an error HP made with a request to Apple.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/23/hp_printer_macos/

"A bunch of worthless "anti-virus" junk is installed on that Mac also" That is false and a strange bug with the software I did report to the developer a bit back, only 1 is real time and there are no antivirus software, and the 1 real time is an antimalware program.

Jul 24, 2023 3:07 PM in response to John Galt

I have a desire to get this fixed after it is leftovers from a HP screw up years ago and the leftovers it left, the fix after that partly invalid wiping all HP software and driver and printers which is a pain when you have that HP security bug in the printer. HP Smart is a clone of their Windows version as they were using WINE for a while after they killed off all other HP software for macOS. There is no PSDrMonitorHelper process and the logs are saying there is no file to be found which points to something else wrong with macOS recorrupting the database.

HP Deskjet 3510e (there are a lot of other HP models I think that HP might be purposely bricking by refusing to push out the security firmware update to enable TLS 1.2 and there by forcing people to use HP Smart to connect to the web interface (which is the only way to turn on Air Print)), downgrading via proxy still has the security risk and also that browser have removed support for the older TLS and SSL versions.

Also some reason macOS mail is flagging the Apple emails as junk (marked 2 as not junk which has never happened in 15 years of emails from this site/s).

Mar 27, 2024 10:31 AM in response to Apple a day

Still no fix for this and users can't remove HP Smart as if they do they can't connect to the printers web interface at all in any browser (printer lacks TLS 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 support due to HP refusing to fix the security bug they have known about for a long time).

Need to figure out why that has been flooding the logs for years even manually removing it does not work as macOS adds it back (no clue why it is adding a non existent file path to the launch database

Strange left overs from a bug from a few years ago with com.hp.PSDrMonitorHelper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.