Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

exchangesyncd process RAM leak - sync process with Microsoft 365, Office, Exchange

Very much the same issue as others reported in this Apple Community Forum.

exchangesyncd process is continuously increasing the use of RAM, up to 50GB RAM added per 24hrs. The problem started a few weeks ago.

My configuration: MacBook 2021 M1 Pro chip with the latest OSX Ventura with the latest patches (version 13.4.1c).

As per suggestions by others, killing the process didn't solve the issue. The process is automatically started again after each kill. Removing Microsoft Exchange account from my Mac, did solve the issue!

Configuring the Exchange account again (after a Mac restart) all seem to work again (enabled all to sync: mail, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) until the system tried to sync the calendar.

While at first new calendar entries in the Calendar App of my Mac did sync with Exchange in the cloud and my other Apple devices, at some point various Mac calendar processes started to continuously use high CPU load (up to 100% of a single M1 core) and the exchangesyncd process started to eat a lot of RAM, again. From this point onwards no new calendar events synced between my Mac and Exchange in the cloud anymore.

Disabling just the calendar sync in Exchange account settings on my Mac, brought everything back to normal.

• The problem seems to be with Calendar sync only.
  • Disabling calendar sync in the Mac Internet Account section seems to solve the problem.
  • Though this introduces a new problem: No Calendar information on Mac anymore.
  • Workaround: Use the web-based Calendar App of Exchange/Outlook until a solution is provided.

Hopefully, Apple solves this issue quickly!

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 3:21 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 14, 2023 9:45 AM in response to HGGNO

HGGNO wrote:

Very much the same issue as others reported in this Apple Community Forum.

exchangesyncd process is continuously increasing the use of RAM, up to 50GB RAM added per 24hrs. The problem started a few weeks ago.

My configuration: MacBook 2021 M1 Pro chip with the latest OSX Ventura with the latest patches (version 13.4.1c).

Disabling just the calendar sync in Exchange account settings on my Mac, brought everything back to normal.

Hopefully, Apple solves this issue quickly!

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.2

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Oct 20, 2023 11:25 PM in response to HGGNO

I have the same issue, in addition to the actual calendar sync not working consistently (if at all). 😅

Until Apple fixes this, the only solution is to remove the Exchange-based "internet account" from your Mac system preferences.

You'll have to figure out other ways to get your Outlook calendar information on your Mac, like just installing the actual Outlook app (which has a decent menu bar and desktop notifications).

You could also occasionally kill the process from a terminal, but I couldn't get Activity Monitor to actually kill it.

exchangesyncd process RAM leak - sync process with Microsoft 365, Office, Exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.