Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can’t access Apple Music through family sharing

No one in my family can access Apple Music, we are already family sharing AND have an Apple Music family subscription but on their individual devices it will not allow them to access it. It says they need to subscribe.

iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 5:24 AM

Hi, were you able to find a solution to this? I am having the same issue and don't see any solutions in any forums online. I've restarted everyone's phones, logged out of their Apple IDs and back in, but nothing. It shows me as head of family that they have access to Apple Music Family Plan, but on their individual phones (under family subscriptions) it does not show they have this access and when they open Apply Music it is saying they need to subscribe.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2023 5:24 AM in response to Count19

Hi, were you able to find a solution to this? I am having the same issue and don't see any solutions in any forums online. I've restarted everyone's phones, logged out of their Apple IDs and back in, but nothing. It shows me as head of family that they have access to Apple Music Family Plan, but on their individual phones (under family subscriptions) it does not show they have this access and when they open Apply Music it is saying they need to subscribe.

Oct 10, 2023 10:05 AM in response to Phil0124

I am facing same issue. My family members aren’t able to access Apple one subscription that I am sharing with them. It is only showing on their individual devices that they only have access to iCloud+ whereas it is showing on my device that they have access to all the shared apps. I have let them try your suggestion but it is still not working.

Jul 31, 2023 7:47 AM in response to Peachplays

Make sure they have been added to the Family Group, and can see the shared Family Subscription in Settings ➜ Family ➜ Subscriptions on their Devices.

If the see it there, then have them log out and then back in in Settings ➜ Apple ID ➜ Media & Purchases.

If using other non-Apple devices please provide the make and model of the devices used.

click here ➜ Add a family member to your shared subscriptions - Apple Support

Dec 15, 2023 7:12 AM in response to Maro3318

the family sharing subscription feature doesn’t work when you are in different region from your family members. Only iCloud storage sharing works since it’s cloud based. I stopped the existing apple one subscription and changed my region upon expiry to same as my family members and it was successful. They are now able to enjoy my shared apple one subscription.

Jan 16, 2024 7:20 AM in response to natacha18

I was told by Apple support rep to go into Settings ----> Name/Apple Id ---> Media & Purchases and choose sign out when you click on Media & Purchases. Stay signed out for a couple minutes then sign back in. Do this on both the head of the Apple Family's device and the family member's device.

If that doesn't work, just hop on a chat with Apple Support so they can help figure things out. I was told sometimes they need to reset some settings on their end.

Oct 11, 2023 5:15 AM in response to Count19

Count19 wrote:

I am facing same issue. My family members aren’t able to access Apple one subscription that I am sharing with them. It is only showing on their individual devices that they only have access to iCloud+ whereas it is showing on my device that they have access to all the shared apps. I have let them try your suggestion but it is still not working.

What shared app subscriptions aren't they seeing exactly? Are they not seeing the subscriptions in Settings ➜ Family ➜ Subscriptions.

Or can they simply not access them in the relevant apps?

Apple One includes a number of subscriptions, if they had the same subscriptions recently but cancelled them, before you shared Apple One with them, they will need to wait until the Apple One free trial is over before they can access those subscriptions themselves.

click here ➜ Bundle Apple subscriptions with Apple One - Apple Support

Jan 1, 2024 12:40 PM in response to Problem44

Problem44 wrote:

We have Family sharing, but when my husband tries to access Apple Music, he gets a message that says that it is only authorized to play on one computer. How can this be??

That suggests you are sharing an Apple ID, which defeats family sharing entirely. Each person should be logged in to their own Apple ID on their own devices.

Can’t access Apple Music through family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.