Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

M2 Pro Mac Mini not waking Dell U2722DE display

Hi folks

I'm having issues with my new M2 Pro Mac Mini not being able to wake this Dell display. It happens randomly, and occurs irrespective of which cable and port I use to connect to the display. I have tried HDMI to HDMI with two different cables. USB-C to Thunderbolt, again with various cables, and DisplayPort to Thunderbolt, once again with different cables, but the problem persists. Has anyone else encountered similar problems connecting Apple silicon Mac Minis to Dell displays? I've currently got the Mac Mini connected to an AOC 24" 144Hz 1080p gaming monitor and so far it has been okay, but I've only been testing it a day.

I've read numerous reports of similar behaviour with Mac Minis and certain displays, but have yet to find a solution that resolves it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 5:18 AM

Sleep is unnecessary for later Macs and should be disabled. Shut for long absences and idle overnights (i.e. do not manual-sleep), and for regular operation, use the settings exactly as shown here Wake up a remote Mac mini - Apple Community, should fix.

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 2, 2023 7:11 AM in response to hcsitas

Is there any reason why a 1m HDMI cable is preferred, as I plan to use a high quality 1m USB-C to DisplayPort for video? The display is a Dell Ultrasharp U2722DE with the following ports:

• HDMI (HDCP 1.4)
  • DisplayPort 1.4 (HDCP 1.4)
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 upstream/DisplayPort 1.4 (DisplayPort 1.4 mode / power up to 90W)
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 upstream
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 downstream (power up to 15W)
  • 3 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 downstream
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 downstream with Battery Charging 1.2
  • Audio line-out (mini-jack)
  • Network (RJ-45)

I've previously tested display connectivity using all 3 display capable ports (USB-C upstream DP 1.4, DisplayPort 1.4, and HDMI) and experienced the same behaviour of the Mac failing to wake the display with each, so I'm not convinced the cables (all of which are good quality) have anything to do with the problem. I've also being using a USB-A to USB-C cable to connect the Mac Mini to the USB-C upstream port as you have suggested to enable use of the display's additional ports.

Aug 30, 2023 7:31 AM in response to hcsitas

I eventually got the monitor to wake from sleep consistently for a number of weeks by preventing the Mac Mini from sleeping as per your suggestion and connecting via Display Port.

Until last Friday... when my wife decided she needed to move a few things around, and seeing the computer sitting with a blank display unplugged everything while it was still on. Since then I have not been able to get the monitor to display through any input despite trying everything that previously worked. All this while the Mac Mini displays to and wakes an AOC monitor faultlessly every single time.

As a last resort I have just used my work Dell laptop to update the U2722DE's firmware from M3T104 to M3T107. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll check later if this has resolved anything.

Nov 14, 2023 10:27 AM in response to Spadetown

M1 Mac Mini and Dell U2227DE connected with USB-C, and the monitor USB hub uplink also connected with USB-C, using the cables comes with the monitor.

After 4-5 days or a week or so the monitor goes black for 1-2 seconds then come back. After this is happening more and more frequently. Sometimes after less then 10 seconds, sometimes 1-2 minutes. The screen goes black, then come back.

Also after the same couple of days, the monitor wont come back from sleep.

Both things can be remedied with pulling the monitor plug from the wall socket for couple of seconds. After this my monitor works like a charm but only for couple of days.

My second, older LG monitor on HDMI port works without any hiccup, even during the time when the Dell goes black.

The OS is the latest sonoma, the monitor has the latest firmware and the DDPM (Dell app for this monitor) is also the latest version.

M2 Pro Mac Mini not waking Dell U2722DE display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.