Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Google Popup Signing Prompt - How stop it?

I, like many others, want to stop the Google signing popup that I get when I go to websites. I have read many responses to this question and none of them apply. For example, go to Google/Security/Signing in with Google (under signing to other sites). This option doesn't exist. I use DuckDuckGo extensions to block popups as well as Safari setting Block & Notify for all Pop up windows. Surely there has to be an answer, even if the answer is there isn't a way to stop these popups at this time.

Is Apple doing anything to help all its frustrated users to fix this issue? Really would like to get an absolutely definitive answer to this issue.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 8:04 PM

You’re telling us that Apple, who owns and maintains “Apple Safari”, the same Safari that blocks a lot of popups already, cannot block this “annoying” pop up…sorry, but how can that be true, is Apple also getting paid by google to not block their popups as you claim the web site developers are paid…Apple can fix this if they wanted!

Similar questions

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 8:04 PM in response to buzzoff13

You’re telling us that Apple, who owns and maintains “Apple Safari”, the same Safari that blocks a lot of popups already, cannot block this “annoying” pop up…sorry, but how can that be true, is Apple also getting paid by google to not block their popups as you claim the web site developers are paid…Apple can fix this if they wanted!

Oct 17, 2023 5:10 PM in response to buzzoff13

My problem is, I DESPISE google and will NEVER have a google account, how do I avoid these annoying popups when I cannot sign in and opt out? Can’t apple add an Opt Out option?

I read that google and Apple have an agreement to not block the login popups, which makes sense as google would block Apple in retribution. Personally, I would prefer neither, let me choose when I want to login and not prompt me at all!

Oct 16, 2023 2:13 PM in response to buzzoff13

the solution to the constant prompts from google asking you to sign in with Google is counterintuitive so I missed it several times while trying to turn this annoying feature off.

to turn off the prompt you first have to actually sign into your Google account and then once signed in you go to the settings option on the Google page and turn off the prompt toggle switch as noted in OP post.

I spent far too much time trying to find that **** toggle switch without actually logging onto google first (I was trying not to succumb to their pressure to log in - but alas, you have to sign in to get to the Google settings).

good luck

Oct 18, 2023 6:43 AM in response to buzzoff13

buzzoff13 wrote:

Some of us do not like the intrusiveness of Google's prompt and don't want to see it.

The prompt is not coming from Google. It's coming from the website you are visiting. The website has opted to use Google accounts as a login option. So, if you don't want to see it, don't visit websites that have made the decision to that service.

Once upon a time, Facebook was a popular log in option but doesn't seem to be anymore.

Jan 27, 2024 7:31 PM in response to buzzoff13

Get used to it, stay signed in to google, or use a different search engine. These are your only options.

The big Tech companies have been working on how to replace cookies. Cookies keep small bits of data on each users computer/phone that can establish less private browsing and user profile creation without your consent. Cookies will die a long and slow death, but they will eventually go away.

Google, in all their wisdom, has decided you will need to be signed in to your account so GOOGLE, not your PC, can keep that tracking data and profile information and eliminate cookies. Im sure, buried in Googles TOS they specifically state this and you must agree with it to use Google.

Since Google has built a monopoly in search, they feel comfortable enough to annoy users by sending an infinite number of sign-in prompts and assume the majority will just sign in and allow Google to track and build their advertising profiles. For Google, the loss of those few that defect to other search engines, are worth the value of building valuable client profile data that only Google will have.

Its ugly that Google wont openly state this, and instead recommend adjusting the setting in your google account, which of course only works when you are signed in to Google.

Aug 16, 2023 3:03 PM in response to John Galt

John, I used the URL you provided, https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/12849458. Scroll down to the last FAQ, "How do I disable the Sign in with Goggle One Tap prompt and Automatic Sign-in" and select it. Upon opening it states "To disable the Google Account sign in prompt, go to Sign in with Google settings. Turn off Google Account sign-in prompts. On all third-party apps and services where you use Sign in with Google, this will disable the One Tap and Automatic Sign-in." Click on the hyperlink "Sign in with Google settings" and turn off the "switch". So far this seems to have worked but always like to give it some time to say yes, it is fixed. You need to do this for all your google accounts.

Now, for those who apparently have this problem and don't have a google account I don't know how they would resolve.

Aug 14, 2023 6:57 PM in response to buzzoff13

Apple has nothing to do with it. Refer to this recent Discussion.

The relevant excerpt follows:

John Galt wrote:

Also, why do I keep getting a “sign into google” popup when I am using safari with duck- duck-go?

The reason is the website in question has been coded to ask you for it. Despite what some people claim this can occur whether or not you have — or have ever had — a Google account.

If you do have a Google account, read https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/12849458

Otherwise, register your complaint with the website developer or administrator or whoever is getting kickback revenue from Google for that annoyance.

Again, Apple has no ability to control or influence what Google does.

Surely there has to be an answer, even if the answer is there isn't a way to stop these popups at this time.

Complain to the hosting site, don't patronize it, boycott it, etc. Apple might not have any influence, but your 💰 does. Use it.

Sep 26, 2023 8:17 AM in response to TBartman69

TBartman69 wrote:

We're telling you that Apple can't control how other websites request people to log into their sites. If Redfin, for example, wants to use Google as their sign-in option, Apple can prevent them any more than Redfin can prevent Apple from using 2FA to sign into iCloud.

Oct 21, 2023 2:35 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

TBartman69, I just updated my DuckDuckGo browser and went to yelp.com. In Safari, I get the Google sign in prompt. However, in DDG I didn't get the prompt. Was reading on DDG website that DDG tries to remove the Google sign prompt unless 1. It is a google page or 2. If DDG blocks the prompt and then site doesn't allow you to login without the popup showing.

Jan 25, 2024 11:59 AM in response to AppleUser2030

The bottom line is that it is a “pop-up”. It can be blocked and it should be blocked. I should not be concerned about who is paying who.

It’s not a pop up. It doesn’t open a new window. It is JavaScript displaying page content. If you don’t want to see it, disable JavaScript. Almost nothing on the WWW will work, but you won’t see those requests.

There are ad blockers that will block JavaScript on a per site basis.

Aug 14, 2023 5:01 PM in response to buzzoff13

buzzoff13 wrote:

I, like many others, want to stop the Google signing popup that I get when I go to websites. I have read many responses to this question and none of them apply. For example, go to Google/Security/Signing in with Google (under signing to other sites). This option doesn't exist. I use DuckDuckGo extensions to block popups as well as Safari setting Block & Notify for all Pop up windows. Surely there has to be an answer, even if the answer is there isn't a way to stop these popups at this time.

Is Apple doing anything to help all its frustrated users to fix this issue? Really would like to get an absolutely definitive answer to this issue.

Definitive answers come directly from Apple—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Google Popup Signing Prompt - How stop it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.