Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple ID password change wants to use Mac password for everything

I updated my Apple ID password and I keep getting a message to enter my password I use to access my Mac and it will be my password for everything. I want those to be different but it won’t allow me to complete the change without doing so. Why?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:50 PM

Hi Panama_Charles,

It sounds like you're not receiving the verification code for your Apple ID. You can get the verification code from your other device.

Get a code from Settings on your trusted device

If you can’t receive a verification code on your trusted devices automatically, you can get one from Settings, even if your device is offline.
From your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
If your device is online:
1. Go to Settings > [your name].
2. Tap Password & Security > Get Verification Code.
3. On iPhone, tap Get Verification Code
If your device is offline:
2. Tap Password & Security. 
3. A message says "Account Details Unavailable." Tap Get Verification Code.

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 2:50 PM in response to Panama_Charles

Hi Panama_Charles,

It sounds like you're not receiving the verification code for your Apple ID. You can get the verification code from your other device.

Get a code from Settings on your trusted device

If you can’t receive a verification code on your trusted devices automatically, you can get one from Settings, even if your device is offline.
From your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
If your device is online:
2. Tap Password & Security > Get Verification Code.
3. On iPhone, tap Get Verification Code
If your device is offline:
2. Tap Password & Security. 
3. A message says "Account Details Unavailable." Tap Get Verification Code.

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Regards.

Aug 10, 2023 12:25 PM in response to Panama_Charles

Hi there Panama_Charles,

If you would like the login password on your Mac to be different than your Apple ID password, follow these steps from Change the login password on Mac:

It’s important to change your login password from time to time to protect your privacy.

Note: Your login password is the password you enter to unlock your Mac when you turn it on or wake it from sleep. It is not your Apple ID password, which provides access to the iTunes Store, App Store, Apple Books, iCloud, and other Apple services.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups .
2. If you’ve forgotten your login password and can’t open your Mac, see Reset your Mac login password.
3. Click Change Password.
4. Enter your current password in the Old Password field.
5. Enter your new password in the New Password field, then enter it again in the Verify field.
6. For help choosing a secure password, click the Key button  next to the New Password field.
7. Enter a hint to help you remember the password.
8. The hint appears if you enter the wrong password three consecutive times, or if you click the question mark in the password field in the login window.
9. Click Change Password.

If something else is happening, please provide more details so that we can continue to help out.

Cheers!

Aug 10, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Ben_Z1

Hi Ben_Z1. Thanks for the reply. I think my question wasn’t clear. I changed my password for Apple ID and now I have an alert inApple ID settings in the overview tab that says “one account for everything” and an update Apple ID settings with a continue button. When I click the continue button and enter my Apple ID it the brings up a prompt to enter my Mac password and says the password I use to unlock this Mac will also be used to access saved passwords and sensitive data in the cloud. It then asks me to enter a passcode which should go to my phone but I never receive it. It’s a nightmare. An endless loop of never getting what I need and unable to finish this change. What’s worse is once the box is up to enter the code I can’t go to the generate code section of my Mac without cancelling out of the code box. Any ideas? I’m out of the county so I can’t just run over to Apple Store and have them work through this.

Apple ID password change wants to use Mac password for everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.