The cardio readings on my Apple Watch are inconsistent

Okay, so I have been training for a half marathon for the past 4 months. I’m in the best shape of my life, don’t get winded running or walking up big hills like I used to and have lost 15 pounds. Back in February, I got a notification saying my cardio recovery was 42BPM and I was in some of the worst shape of my life. I would get winded walking up the stairs. But now, it’s August and it has been consistently dropping for months and I’m down to 21BPM. I thought this was a good thing because it has been moving consistently with my getting in shape until I looked up what it meant and now I’m incredibly confused on how Apple is recording this. It does not seem accurate in the slightest. At my worst point, physically, my heart rate had the best cardio recovery? And at my best point, physically, it’s now the worst cardio recovery I’ve ever had? Please someone shed some light on this. It makes me feel like Apple isn’t recording my workout’s accurately now.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 8:17 PM

I’m seeing the exact same phenomenon and found this thread by querying about it. Following for an explanation .

Similar questions

20 replies

Mar 18, 2024 1:15 AM in response to nikolina51

More recent studies validating the Cole et al. findings show that Cardio Recovery or heart rate recovery of 13 or greater (meaning a drop of 13 bpm or more) after 1 minute, or 22 or greater after two minutes is in the normal/healthy range.

Just thought I'd paste this in here as it can be quite worrying seeing some low numbers and thinking something's wrong. Perhaps we all rely on tech too much these days, just know that everyone here is doing the best thing for their health by exercising in the first place. I can only imagine Apple's code has since changed to be more "accurate" and it's not you that's getting worse!

Jan 26, 2024 10:45 AM in response to nikolina51

I am seeing the same thing. My theory, and it is only that so far, is that “cardio recovery” is measuring how much your heart rate reduces after exercise, but on a delay - maybe starting a minute or two after the actual exercise ends. When you’re out of shape your heart rate is still quite high at that point, but as you get fitter you will have already recovered quite a bit, so the delta between your heart rate at that delayed point and your resting heart rate gets smaller.

If that is the case it would make sense, but I’m not sure what the logic behind measuring that way would be.

Feb 21, 2024 7:40 AM in response to nikolina51

Just a quick update.

My cardio recovery kept dropping along with cardio fitness as I was getting fitter. My watch updated to 10.3.1 and cardio recovery is steadily getting higher. It originally was 42 then dropped to 24 then down to 21 and stayed in a straight line and wouldn't move from 21 for every run I did. Since the update it's steadily increased to 30.

Mar 25, 2024 1:48 PM in response to nikolina51

I was just as perplexed, but then I remembered a couple of things. First, cardiovascular monitoring, including recovery, output, and health, is a complex scientific measurement. No commercially available worn device (non-medical) can accurately replicate laboratory diagnostic testing. Laboratory testing monitors respiratory rate, heart rate, and blood pressure to calculate the efficiency of your cardio engine. Worn devices use metrics and data to feed an algorithm the developers create to estimate our bodies performance. The algorithms are predictive based on the metrics and data they use and therefore can only estimate, not truly measure. I use the numbers as a guide, but I base my fitness level more on how I feel and how I perform, not on what my watch and phone tell me.

The second part of this is, when you workout consistently over time, your body becomes more efficient and your total cardio output increases. Your heart begins to pump more blood in less beats (stronger heart contractions, better alveolar O2/CO2 transfer, better vascular tone). In other words, your maximum heart rate slows when your fitness level increases. Instead of having to beat 180 times per minute to meet oxygen demands at peak exercise levels, it may only beat 160 times per minute when your cardio fitness begins to peak. This means recovery beats are calculated from a lower peak heart rate. Again, focus more on how you feel and perform.

The last part of this is that the worn devices use averages and it takes time for those averages to adjust. If your VO2 max is below 33 for several weeks your device will tell you it is below average. The trend line will show your increases, but the average is going to show below average until you hit higher numbers for an extended period of time. Again, the device is not able to measure true body performance, they can only estimate. An example is the Apple Watch blood oxygen (SpO2) monitor. I have found when compared to a calibrated Pulse Oximeter, the measurements are, on average, 3 percent or more lower on the watch.

Apr 23, 2024 5:08 PM in response to KeraptisBlah

I know this is late response, but I came to this because I have worn watch for years and it has shown me being “strong and healthy” even though that last few years I went off the rails health wise (all relative). I am healthier again and stronger and I got a red alert from Apple telling me I was trending down. I clicked on it trying to understand and got same message you posted. It is meaningless. How could I have been healthier before when I wasn’t and now trending down when I am truly healthier? The answer? Yes, watch is inaccurate and we became beholden to it, to our mental detriment 😂. Back to a true wristwatch for me

Aug 15, 2023 10:58 AM in response to nikolina51

Hi nikolina51,

As you are concerned about the accuracy of the readings from your Apple Watch, see if the steps in the following resources help:

If you continue to get inaccurate readings from your Apple Watch, contact Apple Support for further assistance: Get Support.

Take care.

Apr 23, 2024 4:56 PM in response to lisalyn66

Same. A few months late to the conversation, but googled same experience. Feeling better and fitter than long time. Now, Apple Watch alerted me tonight I am trending down. How? Why? Makes me want to stop wearing my watch. As my fitness declined over the last few years, I was showing as strong. Now that I am reclaiming it, I’m unhealthy?!

Apr 23, 2024 5:00 PM in response to Saint2000

Perhaps you are on to something with the code improving. My oura ring is doing same thing….saying I am trending down, when actually my behavior (food, no alcohol, great sleep, exercise are all better than last couple years when it said I was “strong/excellent”). I’m about to throw them both out. 😂

May 1, 2024 1:03 AM in response to nikolina51

I've gone from a consistent 43 for three weeks to 19 overnight, where it's remained for a week now.

Nothing's changed in terms of my health and fitness (same diet, same work outs, same everything).

When I go to Cardio Recovery>Show All Data, I can see that the data is being captured every few days. So over three weeks, I have 12 data points all logged as 43 (zero variation from this number). Then it's more than halved to 19 and remained there (ie: I now have 3 data points over a week all logged as 19).

The lack of fluctuation in the number being logged every few days plus the immediate and unexplainable halving of the number makes me question the accuracy of what's being reported.

I've gone through the calibration checks and everything that's meant to be toggled on is on. I also have Movement Calibration & Distance turned on and walk almost daily for >30 minutes, with Works Outs>Outdoor Walk on my watch recording each walk. Apparently this is meant to fine tune and constantly calibrate for accuracy.

Apple Watch 7 running WatchOS 10.4 (latest version at the time of writing).

The cardio readings on my Apple Watch are inconsistent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.