Mac Studio upside down wifi fix

Those having Mac Studio WIFI issues, turn it upside down. The location of the antenna is built into the bottom panel (nice one Apple!). Through the last week of headaches after getting my new machine, simply flipping it upside down, my download speeds went from 30 Mbps to 400 Mbps which is where it should be.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do this, I can't imagine it would affect performance or hurt anything, and have been using it all day without any noticeable heat or performance issues.

Anyone think this will be bad for long term use or had WIFI issues? I can clean the dust once in a while, my studio for the most part gets cleaned regularly.

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 7:50 AM

WrongWayRecording--

The deeply technical nature of your post means you have attracted as Readers some of the toughest geeks on the Mac forums. This is a REALLY tough audience to get compliments from.

Compared to the Readers attracted to a more widely-accessible subject, Your reception here on this narrow subject is comparable to having the road before you strewn with strewn with Rose Petals.

DON'T take any grumbling personally! Your experiments and results ARE appreciated!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 7:50 AM in response to WrongWayRecording

WrongWayRecording--

The deeply technical nature of your post means you have attracted as Readers some of the toughest geeks on the Mac forums. This is a REALLY tough audience to get compliments from.

Compared to the Readers attracted to a more widely-accessible subject, Your reception here on this narrow subject is comparable to having the road before you strewn with strewn with Rose Petals.

DON'T take any grumbling personally! Your experiments and results ARE appreciated!

Aug 16, 2023 5:08 PM in response to WrongWayRecording

The fan-forced airflow through the unit does not seem to take advantage of any 'chimney effect', so up or down should be a don't care.

Ethernet:

Note that if you attempt to use the built-in Ethernet instead, two-pair cables and 100 M speeds are NOT supported. On the Mac Studio, Ethernet cables REQUIRE all four pairs of wires, and Gigabit is the slowest speed supported.

Aug 17, 2023 6:13 AM in response to WrongWayRecording

If it works for you, fine. In my opinion it has everything to do with WiFi router and Mac Studio placement, potential degradation of signal because of environment, and not where the Studio's antenna is. My own Mac Studio gets over 700mbps over WiFi right side up. Have you experimented with any of these possibilities? I categorically reject your "nice one, Apple" design criticism.

Aug 17, 2023 7:29 AM in response to lkrupp

My iMac 27 that I replaced last week with the Mac Studio got fine WIFI signal and tested 400+Mbps sitting in the same area as my new Mac Studio. I can test the WIFI speed of the Mac Studio right side up and it's getting less than 30 Mbps, turn it over, retest it and it goes up to 400Mbps instantly, I can literally do this back and forth, and did 3 times in a row with the same results. The only difference is whether it's right side up, or upside down. It's that blatant. A quick search on the web will show that others have had issues with the WIFI on their Mac Studio since the release.

I am sure it has everything to do with line of sight between where my new Mac Studio is in my control room of my recording studio and the antennas on it, The iMac I was using had antennas going up the sides of the monitor, whereas the Mac Studio the antennas are located on the bottom. SInce my WIFI router is 5G and above me directly 2 floors up, there's no other reasonable solution of fixing this but flipping it upside down, and that is fine by me. The 5G router essentially won't work anywhere else in my place, and I tried for hours initially setting it up.

Aug 17, 2023 8:12 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Haha, thanks Grant.

I try not to take anything personally, and I totally get it. People want to help or show me I'm completely wrong or stupid. I'm not the toughest geek, more like a part time nerd/audio production nerd and tech enthusiast with some knowledge, but appreciate any insight given, as this is the reason why I posted in the first place.

As unorthodox as my experiment is, it worked, and the Mac Studio looks kinda cool upside down. I hadn't had issues with my last computer and didn't really want to get into setting up a mesh/AP when I knew what was working before was fine.

I use my computer for uploading/downloading large files, and need all the speed I can get without wasting any unnecessary money or time on this. So by all means, there is no wrong reply to my inquiry!

Aug 17, 2023 8:31 AM in response to lkrupp

@lkrupp

I am a massive fan of Apple and meant no disrespect, more of a 'why?' comment.

Historically, antenna's have always been placed on the top or towards the top of cars for stereos, televisions, radios, iMac's etc... Literally anything that receives or transmits a signal to and/or from.

I can't think of anything other than my Mac Studio really, hence my comment.

Aug 17, 2023 8:33 AM in response to WrongWayRecording

One reason this is a narrow subject is that many high-end users have abandoned WiFi for higher speed, reliable transfers over Ethernet connections.

Rock-solid 1 G bits/sec with no radio problems or competition from other sources or other computers has its appeal. Apple is generally stingy in supplying more hardware. But in the case of the Mac Studio, they included a 10 Gigabit capable Ethernet port whose SLOWEST speed is 1 Gigabit.

But yeah, for Ethernet you have to pull a cable. That is a non-starter for some. Leviton termination blocks make it easy to terminate a cable in a wall Jack. Anyone who is handy can use those, no custom cables or crimping tools required.

Aug 17, 2023 9:12 AM in response to WrongWayRecording

My house is solid masonry construction with wire lath behind the plaster. It is a WiFi dead zone. I have been steadily adding Routers in an attempt to improve the WiFI. I am currently up to FIVE access points, all connected with Ethernet cables.

One of the recent high-end Routers I bought came with 2.5 G Ethernet-over-copper already in place, and another came with a separate 10 G Ethernet-over-copper port. I have added a 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switch to direct traffic.

For modest-length runs, the increment to put in high-spec cables is negligible.

Mac Studio upside down wifi fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.