iCloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server

Could not login into windows 11 iCloud app or web iCloud.com.

iCloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2023 6:01 PM

After digging through posts, chats, forums and not finding any answers, I found it. You just have to go on your iPhone/iPad/(maybe Mac too) and go Settings->Apple ID->iCloud scroll to the bottom and turn on "Access iCloud Data on the Web"

You all can maybe stop pulling your hair out now (if it works). You're welcome.

112 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2023 6:01 PM in response to preferPC

After digging through posts, chats, forums and not finding any answers, I found it. You just have to go on your iPhone/iPad/(maybe Mac too) and go Settings->Apple ID->iCloud scroll to the bottom and turn on "Access iCloud Data on the Web"

You all can maybe stop pulling your hair out now (if it works). You're welcome.

Aug 23, 2023 10:38 AM in response to juli46

I have no idea what happened, on August 3 the syncing stopped with iCloud. It has to be something with Windows 11 as far as I can tell. I thought to change my password but my iPhone and iPad has no problem with them but the real kicker is that my laptop (also windows 11) can login in and sync! Figure that one out.

Aug 20, 2023 1:24 PM in response to preferPC

Hello preferPC,

We have a great support article that might help with this. Please take a look at it here: Resolve issues between iCloud for Windows or iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support. Start out by checking these items, then follow the other troubleshooting in the support article if the issue persists:

"Before you change your security software's setup: 

We hope this helps. Let us know if we can assist with anything else at all. Take care.

Aug 20, 2023 7:21 PM in response to Gena_D

After two days of trying to correct this problem (with calls to Apple Support, they couldn't fix it either) including all your suggestions, since the widows was upgraded from 10 to 11 in the last 2 years, I am re-installing Windows 11 on my PC.

It's just a waste of time, yours and mine, trying to find the problem especially with Windows.

Appreciate you looking into this, in my case it didn't work.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 28, 2023 2:30 PM in response to juli46

I can’t open mine on Windows 10 pc for the past 3 days! With the same flipping error! I chatted with apple… with no answers. I didn’t have the Microsoft app for ICloud, I only used it straight from the web. So, I downloaded the Microsoft iCloud app and tried it…. still the same error! It’s so frustrating when you have a file on your phone that you need to print for a customer but you need it on your computer first for proper enhancements.

Aug 29, 2023 7:24 AM in response to preferPC

It's now Aug 29 and I still get the same authentication error when trying to login. I have re-installed the Windows 11, 4 times with the same result.

I am beyond frustrated. I worked with the Apple people and still no progress, they tried but nothing.

Put in a ticket with windows Feed Back Hub, left 3 messages and absolutely nothing.

Will try contacting Apple again, think the ticket is open for 30 days.

If I find out anything I will post it.

The only good thing is we are not the only ones with this problem!

Aug 29, 2023 7:56 AM in response to preferPC

This is a much larger and more complex problem than Apple is admitting to. We have several Macs, iPhones, and PCs and we're getting no rhyme or reason why some configurations work, and others don't. Here are the OS/Browser combos I've tried, and with the exception of "Old Mac" all OSs and Browsers exceed the minimum requirements for iCloud published by Apple:

Windows 10 / Chrome: Error

Windows 10 / Edge: Error

Windows 10 / Brave: Error

Windows 10 / iCloud App: Error

iPhone / Brave: WORKS <-- This proves it's not a browser issue

iPhone / Safari: WORKS

Old Mac / Chrome: Error

Old Mac / Safari: Error

New Mac / Chrome: Error <-- I have MacOS Ventura 13.5 and Chrome 116.0.5845.110 -- Why the error?

New Mac / Safari: WORKS <-- This proves it's not my internet connection, and it's not a security software issue.

Something else is happening on Apple's end. iCloud running from a Windows/Chrome environment was literally working fine one day, and then errors the next. No changes in the local environment proves the change is on Apple's side.

Please fix!

Aug 29, 2023 9:32 AM in response to jfgarnant

I'm glad you got it going. But be aware -- it's been intermittent for me. Within the course of a few minutes, it was working on the New Mac for Chrome, then stopped working, and now it's working again.

I have been in IT for 30 years, the first 20 of those in a desktop support role of some kind. If someone can suggest any reason how a network service can work/not work/work within a span of 10 minutes, and the cause of it being on the desktop I'd love to hear it! :)

Aug 29, 2023 5:32 PM in response to preferPC

From another frustrated iCloud user 'Futurist2022' had the solution to this problem. It appears that if you have IP6 enabled on your adapter setting this is causing the problem.

Go to Control panel, select Network and Sharing Center, then select Change Adapter Settings, select the adapter you are using for your PC, double click on it, select Properties, scroll down and uncheck Internet Protocall 6 (TCP/IPv6). click OK close each window. Reboot your PC. I you still have problems uninstall iCloud first then change the adapter settings, reboot and you should be good to go.

Thanks to Futurist2022, great job!

Oct 14, 2023 7:29 AM in response to preferPC

Found the solution for my same occurance of this issue: Application password for the iCloud email account needed to be re-created and re-configured in the account settings in Outlook:

1. Via web, log into your iCloud account>Manage your Apple ID> and generate new application password via 'App Specific Passwords'
  2. Use the app password in Outlook> 'Account Settings' for the iCloud account

iCloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.