Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Apple CarPlay Navigation & IOS 16

So my wife and I are both having issues with the CarPlay navigation apps no longer working as they did before, since updating to 16.6. I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max and all 3 Nav Apps iMaps, Google maps and Waze are either freezing, lagging, or not opening up at all. I have rebooted the phone, reseted network settings, reseted CarPlay, rebooted the OEM headunit, removed and reinserted the SIM card and toggled on and off just about every option suggested online with no solution. The only thing that worked was us using an old iPhone 6s that is running 15.5. So that clearly rules out 2 IPhones having issues and the OEM headunit. Im hoping Apple will be able to fix this on their next update.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 10:36 AM

Hi Gardenstatejerseyboy,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you're running into an issue with CarPlay and navigations, and we're happy to help. Start with the steps to resolve CarPlay issues here: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

If this issue continues, let us know if these same issues persist when using just your device for navigation, or if this is isolated to CarPlay. We'll go from there.

Thanks.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 10:36 AM in response to Gardenstatejerseyboy

Hi Gardenstatejerseyboy,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you're running into an issue with CarPlay and navigations, and we're happy to help. Start with the steps to resolve CarPlay issues here: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

If this issue continues, let us know if these same issues persist when using just your device for navigation, or if this is isolated to CarPlay. We'll go from there.

Thanks.

Aug 23, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Gardenstatejerseyboy

Hi there Gardenstatejerseyboy,

Family Sharing shouldn't be related to the issue you're describing with navigation apps on your iPhone. We'd like to learn more to see how we can help. Does this happen in all locations or only when you're traveling in your car? What kind of signal strength are you seeing for your cellular network connection when this happens?

Also, make sure you have Location Services turned on for those apps in Settings. Learn how using the steps below:

How to turn Location Services on or off for specific apps
1. Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services.
2. Make sure that Location Services is on.
3. Scroll down to find the app.
4. Tap the app and select an option:
* Never: Prevents access to Location Services information.
* Ask Next Time Or When I Share: This allows you to choose Always While Using App, Allow Once, or Don't Allow.
* While Using the App: Allows access to Location Services only when the app or one of its features is visible on screen. If an app is set to While Using the App, you might see your status bar turn blue with a message that an app is actively using your location.
* Always: Allows access to your location even when the app is in the background.

You'll find that information in this support article: Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Next, make sure that cellular data is turned on for each of these apps with the guidance in this link: Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2023 10:39 AM in response to Stevi_S

Upon further inspection it seems that CarPlay is not the source of the problem. I realized this after using the navigation apps while not connected to CarPlay. The problem seems to still be effecting both our phones running the latest version of iOS . 16.6. I’m not sure if family sharing has anything to do with it , because that is the only other thing that I know of that ties my phone to my wife’s phone.

Aug 24, 2023 11:22 AM in response to Gardenstatejerseyboy

Quite a few others are having same issue with IOS 16.6 and Location Services. No solution yet, some say Apple knows and is working on a fix. Seems IOS 17 does not have this issue. I found that the main cause is the Find My app. After rebooting or hard reset, Location Services will work again. But the minute I open the Find My app, this issue returns. So, the temp fix I am using is not opening Find My app after rebooting Iphone. This seems to be working for me at this time, waiting for next update to hopefully fix this issue. There are other posts here on this issue.

If you do need to use Find My app, you will need to reboot or hard reset Iphone again to get Location Services working again.

Apple CarPlay Navigation & IOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.