Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Odd redirection when I try to change Apple ID

I am going through the motions of changing my Apple ID away from an old company email to my new email, which I created for that very purpose. Steps from Apple site are:

1. I go to https://appleid.apple.com

2. I Sign-In and in the Security section I choose Apple ID.

3. I enter new email address

4. I press "Choose Change Apple ID."

Here I just get a direction to "Continue on one of your devices" where I have to locate Apple ID in settings, but there are no instruction on what to do after that - and NO email arrives on the new email address!

Has anyone seen this redirection?

Is there a maximum length that an Apple ID can have?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 11:05 AM

Hello JespertheGreat,

The first solution is not to choose your default Apple ID when you connect to appleid.apple.com. Choose instead “other account” (or something to that effect). You’ll then be prompted for an Apple ID (use yours) and a password (yours). Your Mac will then ask you to confirm your identity with a 6-digit code sent to your other Apple devices. Once logged on, you’ll have no issue making changes to your account.

The second solution is to use another browser such as Firefox: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 11:05 AM in response to JespertheGreat

Hello JespertheGreat,

The first solution is not to choose your default Apple ID when you connect to appleid.apple.com. Choose instead “other account” (or something to that effect). You’ll then be prompted for an Apple ID (use yours) and a password (yours). Your Mac will then ask you to confirm your identity with a 6-digit code sent to your other Apple devices. Once logged on, you’ll have no issue making changes to your account.

The second solution is to use another browser such as Firefox: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/.

Aug 26, 2023 11:21 AM in response to JespertheGreat

See this Apple article: Change your Apple ID -> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support (SG)

⤵️

If you can’t change your Apple ID

If you're trying to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

If you see a message informing you that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member isn't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove itfrom their account, then try to use it. 

In some countries or regions, you can use your phone number as your Apple ID. But if your Apple ID is an email address, you won't be able to change it to a phone number.

-----

You are sign in here .  .  .  with your Apple ID & Password.

Your Apple ID is the personal account you use with all Apple products and services. It includes the email address and password you use to sign in, as well as the contact, payment, and security details that you use with Apple.

You can’t merge multiple Apple ID accounts.

See the following Apple articles

Sign in with your Apple ID -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204053

Manage and use your Apple ID -> Manage and use your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

an old company email to my new email,  

You cannot change that old company email to your Apple ID that you use to sign in here.

Aug 26, 2023 11:00 AM in response to JespertheGreat

I am going through the motions of changing my Apple ID away from an old company email to my new email,

No, that is not possible.

If you no longer work for that company, that company has already deleted your work email address. This is done as soon as you have left the company so that you can no longer log in. You no longer have any rights there.

An deleted email address, it is no longer valid, it simply no longer exists and it no longer works.

You may not be able to change that email work address because it is no longer exists.

Odd redirection when I try to change Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.