Mac Mails: "Your network preferences prevent content from loading privately."

On my Mac Studio running iOS 13.5 and no AV app, each of my Apple Mail messages from my various email accounts (i.e. Apple, Gmail, etc.) suddenly stopped displaying graphics. iCloud system status is all green. Never happened before tonight. What triggered this? I've read about turning off "Protect Mail Activity" and keeping "Hide IP Address" in my Mail Settings, and some other potential solutions, but they have not solved the problem. What is the cause of this? Is it a bug? How do I resolve this without compromising my computer's security and without having to hit the "Load Content Directly" button for each email?

Thanks!

iMac 27″

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 4:47 AM

MrLibraryMan wrote:

On my Mac Studio running iOS 13.5 and no AV app, each of my Apple Mail messages from my various email accounts (i.e. Apple, Gmail, etc.) suddenly stopped displaying graphics. iCloud system status is all green. Never happened before tonight. What triggered this?

I've read about turning off "Protect Mail Activity" and keeping "Hide IP Address" in my Mail Settings, and some other potential solutions, but they have not solved the problem. What is the cause of this? Is it a bug?

How do I resolve this without compromising my computer's security and without having to hit the "Load Content Directly" button for each email?

Thanks!

Open mail app select Mail>Settings>Privacy disable:

Protect Mail Activity

Hide IP address

Block all remote content

compare your results, reboot if necessary.

Also “Mail Privacy Protection” if no resolve, Mail>Settings>Privacy> uncheck

ref: —Mail Privacy Protection on Mac - Apple Support

Use Mail Privacy Protection on Mac - Apple Support

ref: Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If no resolve see:

—if you are using Hide My email—try disabling this feature and compare your results...

Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices - Apple Support

—if you are using iCloud Private Relay on Mac - Apple Support try disabling this feature and compare your results...

Use iCloud Private Relay on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 4:47 AM in response to MrLibraryMan

MrLibraryMan wrote:

On my Mac Studio running iOS 13.5 and no AV app, each of my Apple Mail messages from my various email accounts (i.e. Apple, Gmail, etc.) suddenly stopped displaying graphics. iCloud system status is all green. Never happened before tonight. What triggered this?

I've read about turning off "Protect Mail Activity" and keeping "Hide IP Address" in my Mail Settings, and some other potential solutions, but they have not solved the problem. What is the cause of this? Is it a bug?

How do I resolve this without compromising my computer's security and without having to hit the "Load Content Directly" button for each email?

Thanks!

Open mail app select Mail>Settings>Privacy disable:

Protect Mail Activity

Hide IP address

Block all remote content

compare your results, reboot if necessary.

Also “Mail Privacy Protection” if no resolve, Mail>Settings>Privacy> uncheck

ref: —Mail Privacy Protection on Mac - Apple Support

Use Mail Privacy Protection on Mac - Apple Support

ref: Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If no resolve see:

—if you are using Hide My email—try disabling this feature and compare your results...

Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices - Apple Support

—if you are using iCloud Private Relay on Mac - Apple Support try disabling this feature and compare your results...

Use iCloud Private Relay on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 27, 2023 7:36 PM in response to MrLibraryMan

MrLibraryMan wrote:

LeroyDouglas,

Thank you for the quick reply. The first option worked! However, will I still have mail security/privacy or should I just go with the Hide IP Address feature by keeping the Protect Mail Activity feature unchecked?

I am not a good one to answer your question.

I have never used or turned on any of these new 'bells & whistle' in the Ventura Mail.app

I never had an issue in 20+ yrs prior to these options, so I am not inclined to complicate my email.

I have no issues.

I would say use what works for you.

You can always call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Mac Mails: "Your network preferences prevent content from loading privately."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.