Left Shift key does not capitalzie, only shows Desktop on Macbook Air M1 2020 w/ Ventura 13.5.1

Hello,

I want to use the left Shift key to capitalize letters, but it only shows the Desktop. The keyboard shortcut settings show that F11 shows the Desktop and I'm unable to disable the left Shift key and have it capitalize. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 2:32 AM

6 replies

Aug 27, 2023 2:56 AM in response to Beauregaard

see via this steps if your keyboard settings are set to United States (international)

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Keyboard  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Go to Text Input on the right, then click Edit. 
  3. Click the Add button , then search for a language (such as Chinese, Simplified). Select one or more input sources for each language you want to use. 
  4. Click Add.
  5. To begin writing in another language, select the language you want to use in the Input menu in the menu bar. Click Show Keyboard Viewer to see the keyboard layout of the language you have currently selected.

Aug 27, 2023 7:27 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Changing those settings worked! Thank you!

But it was weird. Show Desktop was set to F11; Mission Control was set to Left Control. When I changed both settings and clicked Done, pressing Left Shift still displayed the Desktop. I did a Restart, and then everything worked as set. And, now if I change the settings again and click Done, everything works as set without the need for a restart. Crazy.

But now I can capitalize using Left Shift, so I'm happy. Thanks again!

Left Shift key does not capitalzie, only shows Desktop on Macbook Air M1 2020 w/ Ventura 13.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.