Insert Date & Time grayed out (Pages 13.1; MacBook Pro)

I use Pages 13.1 on my 2016 MacBook Pro (macOS 12.6.8). In an existing document, I just now tried to add a dynamic date/time field to the footer. My insertion point is in the rightmost of the three boxes in the footer. I click to insert the field, but "Date & Time" is grayed out. I can insert a page number or page count, but not the date or time. I hope someone here can help sort this out. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 1:47 PM

You double-click the header or footer segment where you want to insert the Date/Time field and do so from the Insert menu. The double-click gets you mouse and keyboard focus in the respective segment field. Once the date/time is inserted to the segment, you click once to open the date/time format customization menu (if needed).

That date/time content will not autoupdate with subsequent opens of the Pages document. If you want it to auto-update to the current date/time on reopen, let me know.

Test: Pages v13.1 / macOS Ventura 13.5.1.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 1:47 PM in response to Lucas1948

You double-click the header or footer segment where you want to insert the Date/Time field and do so from the Insert menu. The double-click gets you mouse and keyboard focus in the respective segment field. Once the date/time is inserted to the segment, you click once to open the date/time format customization menu (if needed).

That date/time content will not autoupdate with subsequent opens of the Pages document. If you want it to auto-update to the current date/time on reopen, let me know.

Test: Pages v13.1 / macOS Ventura 13.5.1.

Aug 30, 2023 2:54 PM in response to Lucas1948

Thanks, VikingOSX. Since I posted, I deleted the footer entirely, then put back the blank footer element. I think I understand that the blank footer is supposed to come with three segments—left, center, and right—but my new blank footer element seems to have just one (for what that may be worth). The "Date & Time" bit is still grayed out. Also, for what it's worth, this document is in landscape orientation.

One more thing: In the Document view, "Document Body" is checked, but it too is grayed out.

Insert Date & Time grayed out (Pages 13.1; MacBook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.