You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flickering issue on MacBook Pro while connecting it to external display

Dear Apple Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek assistance and to report an issue I have been experiencing with the HDMI port on my Mac. I believe there may be an issue that needs attention, and I kindly request your assistance in resolving it.

I have a Macbook pro 14 inch laptop with a built-in HDMI port, and I use it to connect to an external monitor, specifically a Samsung Viewfinity S6 QHD Monitor. While attempting to connect my Mac to the monitor via the HDMI port, I have encountered an unexpected problem. Upon connecting the HDMI cable, there are noticeable flickers before the external monitor's screen is displayed. This flickering issue is not present when I use an HDMI adapter to connect my Mac to the same monitor. If I set refresh rate of my mac to 60Hz and my monitor as 75 Hz then this issue was not happening but if i set refresh rate of my mac to 120Hz and my monitor as 75 Hz then this flickering issue is happening but for first time before showing the monitor display. (below attached a video for the actual issue)

Demo Video of the issue

I have taken the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. I have tried different HDMI cables to rule out any cable-related problems.

2. I have checked for physical damage or debris in the HDMI port on both my Mac and the external monitor.

3. I have ensured that my Mac's display settings are correctly configured for the external monitor.

4. I have verified that my Mac's operating system and graphics drivers are up to date.

5. I have attempted to adjust display settings, including resolution and refresh rate, but the issue persists.

Given that my Mac has a built-in HDMI port, it is crucial for it to function seamlessly. I believe that this issue may be related to the HDMI port on my Mac, and I would appreciate any guidance or support in troubleshooting and resolving it.

The current flickering issue is affecting my user experience. I would kindly request that Apple investigate and address this issue as soon as possible, as it was not expected that the HDMI port would exhibit this behavior.

I would be grateful for any advice, recommendations, or potential solutions you can provide to resolve this matter. Your prompt attention to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance, and I look forward to your response.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 11:06 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Sep 2, 2023 9:09 AM in response to shubham_dutta

Check for a firmware update for the (apparently) S27B61* display, if Samsung has one available.

The user manual for what you probably have is available here:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/?model=N0060170

Samsung has some settings-related downloads, but I’m unsure what those are.

Then with current bits for the monitor and some testing, contact Apple Support.

(And for completeness, we are not the “Apple Support Team”. That’s not us.)

Flickering issue on MacBook Pro while connecting it to external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.