Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

My husband’s iPhone X keeps calling 911

My husband’s iPhone 10x keeps calling 911. He has the usual stuff turned off and he has rebooted it.

His phone also, after it calls 911, calls his stepfather. His stepfather is an emergency contact for him.

The weird thing is that he also gets spam replies from Wisconsin. We are in Canada. He has never got a response from local emergency services berating him for false calls.

Could his phone be hacked? What else could be going on?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 6:13 PM

Probably not hacked. iPhone hacking is exceedingly rare and targeted, based on available information.

I suspect the errant calls might involve this: Use Emergency SOS on your iPhone - Apple Support

I'm would discourage add-on call-filtering apps, as the spammers change the calling telephone numbers they’re spoofing, same as how email spam changes the “sending” email address. And any callers that are not varying the calling numbers are trivial to block with built-in iPhone features.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 6:13 PM in response to gaylyn195

Probably not hacked. iPhone hacking is exceedingly rare and targeted, based on available information.

I suspect the errant calls might involve this: Use Emergency SOS on your iPhone - Apple Support

I'm would discourage add-on call-filtering apps, as the spammers change the calling telephone numbers they’re spoofing, same as how email spam changes the “sending” email address. And any callers that are not varying the calling numbers are trivial to block with built-in iPhone features.

Sep 6, 2023 5:34 PM in response to gaylyn195

"Calling 911: My husband’s iPhone 10x keeps calling 911. He has the usual stuff turned off and he has rebooted it. His phone also, after it calls 911, calls his stepfather. His stepfather is an emergency contact for him. The weird thing is that he also gets spam replies from Wisconsin. We are in Canada. He has never got a response from local emergency services berating him for false calls. Could his phone be hacked? What else could be going on?"

-------

Blocking Out these Scammers:

Use Malwarebytes Mobile Security:

The free version blocks popups. The paid version blocks out known spam numbers, and lets you add number to the block list. So, consider using it. Read the following post to see how to use this software: Blocked numbers - Apple Community. Get it Right in the App Store: Malwarebytes - Mobile Security - App Store

Reporting these Scams:

Have any of these phone call lists in your Call History? If so, you can report it to Apple and to the USA Federal GovernmentUse my User Tip: Using the Photos App to Report Scams: - User Tips

Sep 6, 2023 5:22 PM in response to gaylyn195

1. has he installed stuff that was NOT on the App Store ig from a website*
  2. is it in sos mode?

id say take it to nearest Apple Store or a certified Apple mechanic

*if so factory restart asap because he could have installed a virus witch could take his information… comment back and tell me if he’s done ent thing on his phone weird recently. Ig going to a suspicious website

My husband’s iPhone X keeps calling 911

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.