Ethernet Connection on MacBook Pro M2 Max

I am considering purchasing a MacBook Pro M2 Max.Ddue to my work's demand for a dependable internet connection, (ideally a wired connection) I would like to hook up the macbook to ethernet cable.  I'm keen to explore the option of connecting my MacBook to an Ethernet cable. Does anyone have firsthand experience with Thunderbolt 4 docks that include an Ethernet port, specifically those like the Microsoft Surface Thunderbolt 4 Dock? I'm particularly interested in whether these docks or Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapters can deliver internet speeds on par with a desktop equipped with a dedicated Ethernet port.

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 6:19 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Sep 7, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your response! When I was checking the wifi specs of the m2 MacBook 16" I see the following. Does this mean that M2 MacBooks can handle speed up to 2400 Mbps, and if we have a 2000 Mbps connection , and use TB4-Ethernet adaptor(2.5Gbits) I can get maximum upload download speed possible? I am trying to decide , If I go for MacBook pro, I can hook up ethernet cable and get maximum speed and work off it, instead of relying on wifi.

Sep 6, 2023 6:28 PM in response to JAI_C

JAI_C Said:

"Ethernet Connection on MacBook Pro M2 Max: [...]I'm keen to explore the option of connecting my MacBook to an Ethernet cable. Does anyone have firsthand experience with Thunderbolt 4 docks that include an Ethernet port, specifically those like the Microsoft Surface Thunderbolt 4 Dock?[...]"

-------

Docking Station for Thunderbolt 4:

The J5 USB-C Dual HDMI Docking Station allows for Ethernet, and much more --it works on Apple and Windows. As an extra note, it allows for two extra monitors to be added.

Sep 7, 2023 6:25 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

@Grant Bennet-Alder Thank you for confirming that. Greatly appreciated!

Did you notice any performance issues in long term use? I depend a lot on fast-stable internet when I am working

I have a 1000 Mbps connection now, using iMac I get 800-900 Mbps(upload -download) most of the time when hooked to ethernet. Planning to upgrade to 2 Mbps soon. If I get a Microsoft surface thunderbolt 4 or Caldigit TS4 the ethernet port in that should work right? Or should I get Belkin or similar adaptors dedicated to ethernet alone?

One more question, I didnt get "all four pairs " means, you mean in the ether net cable?

Sep 7, 2023 7:15 AM in response to JAI_C

to run faster than 1 Gigabit/sec, you need to be very deliberate. Your Router needs to be capable of accepting Ethernet data at that rate, or you are wasting your time.

Your Router then needs an 'upstream' connection to your ISP equipment that is also faster than 1 Gigabit/second. And your ISP equipment needs to support faster than 1 Gigabit/second. And your cables must be short, and high-end technology, preferably Category 6 or better.

Ethernet Connection on MacBook Pro M2 Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.