Is there a way to set Image Capture to 72dpi?

I know I've used Image Capture to scan at 72 dpi before. My scanner was broken for a while, I recently got a new one (two new ones actually; a Brother and an Epson—my old one was an Epson as well.) I fired up Image Capture, it starts just fine, recognises both scanners, but the only dpi options it's offering are 100/200/300/600. What happened to 72 dpi? I tried typing it into the box, but it won't accept it. Tried every tweak within the program that I could think of, and googled without much success. Is there a way I can set Image Capture to scan at 72 dpi?

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 10:15 AM

11 replies

Sep 10, 2023 12:31 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time.

Alas, I tried checking the Custom Size box and typing "72" into the dpi box, but it still won't let me type in that box. It's just behaving like a popup menu. I also noticed that I don't have some of the options in my copy of Image Capture that you do. Basically, I appear to be missing everything below Image Correction. Not sure what's up with that. Here's what my Image Capture looks like:

Sep 10, 2023 11:19 AM in response to FormerKADrinker

Do not care about old lpi (lines per inch) or dpi (dots per inch) figures. Look at ppi (pixels per inch) which means about the same as dpi.

For photo prints, 300 ppi is fine in general; scan at 600 ppi to make sure you get all the details hidden in your prints. For slides and negatives, 2000 ppi or so is needed. Color depth and output format are another details.

Sep 10, 2023 12:52 PM in response to FormerKADrinker

Don't know if this changes anything, but are you running MacOS 13.4? The current MacOS is 13.5.2. It's possible something changed in Image Capture between the two OS versions.

Personally, I use VueScan, which provides tons of options. I've used it for over 15 years, and it's updated more often than any other app I own. And it works with scanners connected wirelessly, something Image Capture can't do.

Sep 10, 2023 2:57 PM in response to MacMikeInOK

I was indeed running 13.4! Didn't know I wasn't up to date. Thanks for letting me know. I've now updated to 13.5.2. Alas, I'm still getting the same behaviour from Image Capture.

I've peeked at VueScan. I may have to go with that if I can't find a solution within Image Capture. Sad that it seemed to work flawlessly and now it's acting all wonky. (One thing though; Image Capture does work with my wireless scanners. I can scan just fine from both the Epson and the Brother wirelessly over wifi. Just not in the resolution I desire! GRR!)

Thanks for your help! I'll keep poking around.

Sep 10, 2023 3:24 PM in response to lkrupp

Yes, both scanners are new. Image Capture restricts both to 100/200/300/600. I downloaded a test copy of Vuescan, and it will gladly let me scan at any resolution between 1 and 1200 dpi (including 72 dpi.) I'm just resisting paying another $50 for scanning software, since Image Capture worked fine for years (I hope I can get it working again, but if not, I'll sadly spring for a copy of Vuescan.)

Sep 10, 2023 3:29 PM in response to Old Toad

I haven't recently changed monitors; this is the same monitor I've had since first purchasing the M1 Mini when it was first released. I used Image Capture for years on the Mini with no problem. It's not 75 I need, but 72 (a standard, if low resolution dpi). I sew wrestling masks, and I draw patterns freehand and then scan them into my Mac to clean them up in Affinity Designer/Adobe Illustrator. Scanning my images in at 72 dpi makes them the correct size in Illustrator/Designer for 1:1 tracing. It's something I've been doing for 30 years now. Image Capture not letting me scan at 72 dpi is a very recent problem.

Is there a way to set Image Capture to 72dpi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.